Buzzer oddity since 0.9.8

Share you PDE file with our community
jpalmer

Buzzer oddity since 0.9.8

Post by jpalmer »

Hey all,

I don't recall library version 0.9.6 doing this, but 0.9.8, and 0.9.9 do:

I have my buzzer connected. Anytime I manually turn on ports 2, 3, or 4.. my buzzer sounds (low, but it's noticable) The odd thing is, if the ports are on and in auto mode.. all is fine. it's only when I manually turn them on.

my code:
https://github.com/palmerit/reefangel/b ... effs90.ino

I've not been able to track this down, and would love some feedback.
rimai

Re: Buzzer oddity since 0.9.8

Post by rimai »

That's the PWM override I put in.
https://github.com/curtbinder/ReefAngel ... 8d9e328829
Basically it scans all ports to see if you are overriding a light port.
This is to set a value other than 0 to the PWM ports for led lights when you override a light port.
You could set ReefAngel.LightsOnPorts=0 and it won't buzz anymore.
Roberto.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Thanks Roberto.

I must be tired. Looking at the git commit logs (and possibly diffs) should have been my first course of action. Thanks a ton.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

That change worked perfectly.

I'm not quite sure I understand the context or purpose behind that code change though. What exactly is the use-case you envision, where that commit would be handy/useful?
rimai

Post by rimai »

For those that use LED lights, turning the relay on by using any app or portal doesn't actually turn the lights on.
It only energizes the driver. There is a need to change the PWM port to something other than 0.
That feature is intended to change the value of the PWM ports to the internal memory setting when the a relay that is set on LightsOnPorts is masked on.
This is for cases like visitors come by during your lights off period and you just want to showcase the tank by turning the lights on momentarily.
Roberto.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.

I'll be playing with that pretty soon. I'm planning a DIY LED build.

Speaking of LED's.. can a single channel on the PWM expansion module signal multiple drivers? Lets say I have 2 or 3 drivers all for th same color.. can I send the PWM signal from one channel to all three driver? or is there a resistance/impedance component to consider? (one driver per channel)
rimai

Post by rimai »

Each channel can handle 40mA max.
Depending on which driver you pick, you will have to consider how much they draw.
If I'm not mistaken, Meanwell drivers pull about 3.5mA at 100%PWM. So you could easily put 3 drivers into a single channel.
Roberto.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Although, that does make me wonder one additional thing..

If the port being energized doesn't actually turn the lights on, and it's the signal from the PWM channel.. Why wouldn't people simply have those drivers plugged into an 'always on' outlet, and turn the PWM channel from 0% to, whatever they want to showcase the tank with. Seems like a waste of a controlled power port in that case.

Of course, having no experience with it.. I may be missing something simple or obvious.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You could do that.
A little bit trickier to do though.
Some of the new drivers enter hibernation state when PWM is 0%.
The reason I like to place them into a controlled port is that even on hibernation or minimum draw, it is still drawing some power. Some may say it is negligible compared to when they are on, but still...
You can't easily change the PWM value when you are using PWMSlope or PWMParabola functions.
You would need to come up with a logic to tell the controller that you want to override the PWM function.
By using the app, you are limited to how you can interact with the controller.
The logic I created was to override the functions when a relay was masked on.
Can you think of another logic that would also work?
I'm more than happy to try to implement it :)
Roberto.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

No sir, no suggestions or alternative ideas. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it before I spend $400 in parts to do my LED kit.

Any suggestions I come up with now would be purely hypothetical. I'll wait till I have the LED kit, and see what ideas I come up with!

Thanks for all of the help and insanely fast replies!
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

rimai wrote:You could do that.
A little bit trickier to do though.
Some of the new drivers enter hibernation state when PWM is 0%.
The reason I like to place them into a controlled port is that even on hibernation or minimum draw, it is still drawing some power. Some may say it is negligible compared to when they are on, but still...
You can't easily change the PWM value when you are using PWMSlope or PWMParabola functions.
You would need to come up with a logic to tell the controller that you want to override the PWM function.
By using the app, you are limited to how you can interact with the controller.
The logic I created was to override the functions when a relay was masked on.
Can you think of another logic that would also work?
I'm more than happy to try to implement it :)
This seems exactly what I would like to do. I dont have my LED drivers using a relay box port those are at a premium in my plans already. It only took me until the second day of having my light schedule running that I realized that I need to be able to over ride any/all pwm/analog ports for max flexibility. The PWM settings and that this does not seem to be an easy task. I have not peeked at any of the coding so there may be a reason what I am about to type is utter BS and impossible but couldn't a variable just be set for each analog/pwm channel and when any function (lighting/whatever it shouldnt matter) is running that code just modifies the variable and then that variable value is what is actually used by the hardware? Check if an override flag has been flipped if the flag is flipped then exit the current lighting function and go into the Override function, maybe even get some input from the user (pwm value up/down arrows) as long as the override flag is set stay in the override function but when it is flipped back off go back to the regular lighting function? I envision this like the overrides for the relay boxes but with an up/down arrow to allow manual feedback on what you want until the override is turned off.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

rimai

Post by rimai »

Hi Nick,
The latest libraries already do that for the standard channels only though.
If you override a port that was assigned to lights, it will override the PWM to whatever is on the internal memory LEDPWMActinic and LEDPWMDaylight.
You could then use any app to change the memory settings to whatever you want. This would give you exactly what you are asking for.
You can even use the Client app sliders to change the setting. Those sliders do exactly that. They change that memory location. Or you can use the Java Status app or even your browser.
If you want to do the same thing for your dimming expansion channels, you will need to a code like this:

Code: Select all

if ((ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOn & (1<<(Port5-1))) == (1<<(Port5-1))) // If MaskOn, we override PWM to internal memory value
  {
    ReefAngel.PWM.SetChannel(0,InternalMemory.LEDPWMDaylight_read());
    ReefAngel.PWM.SetChannel(1,InternalMemory.LEDPWMDaylight_read());
  }
  else
  {
    ReefAngel.PWM.Channel0PWMSlope(0);
    ReefAngel.PWM.Channel1PWMSlope(0);
  }
Roberto.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

does this require masking a "phantom" relay on the relay box? Any way to just manipulate the PWM ports directly?
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, that example was for masking port5, but we can make it so you could use a relay box you don't have.
You could do this:

Code: Select all

if ((ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOnE[1] & (1<<(Port5-1))) == (1<<(Port5-1)))
That will use Port5 on Expansion Box 2
Roberto.