2 or more RF Modules at the same time

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
rimai

2 or more RF Modules at the same time

Post by rimai »

2 RF modules close to each other will cause problems.
If you would like, I'll need to create a new firmware for one of them, so they operate in different channels.

Edit: thread was split from original: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3635
Roberto.
mvwise

Re: Speedwave Pump for Closed Loop

Post by mvwise »

We will actually have three RF modules working all within the same area. We have a 180g, a 90g and there will be a combined 120g (three tank split) that will be going in in the fall to consolidate out quarantine, frag and our new stings and predator tank. All of these are within 30ft of each other so i really only see the problem getting worse.

If you could provide two additional firmware updates to split out different channels on all three (if possible) it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, I can change the firmware for 3 different channels.
Give me a few days.
Roberto.
mvwise

Post by mvwise »

No problem, thanks!
mvwise

Post by mvwise »

Roberto, any progress on the firmware updates?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Not yet... I'll try to get them this week.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Ok, I made this one for a 2nd channel, but did not have time to test yet.
You need to open the enclosure and connect the USB-TTL cable with the black wire on the GND pin.
Then, you need to edit the file update.bat to use whatever com port you are using.
Double-click the update.bat file to start updating.
When you are done, you will need to sync the pumps you want on the 2nd channel with this new module.
Attachments
RF_Update_2nd_Channel.zip
(425.22 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Roberto.
mvwise

Re: 2 or more RF Modules at the same time

Post by mvwise »

Roberto, I am finally getting back to this after a bit of a break. I tried initially to get this to work but it didn't, so I have been running the Vortechs on my primary tank on manual mode rather than controlling through the RA while I sorted out some other issues.

I tried to run it again today. I uploaded the new firmware to the RF module as described and all went well. I then hooked everything back up and performed a reset on the two MP40's on my primary tank. I turned all power off to the other tank so that the second RA and the other two MP10's were not powered or running. I then connected the MP40's to my primary RA and all seemed well with the pumps performing as set on the RA. This worked well until I turned on the power to the other tank and started it up again. At this point the other tank RF module appears to take control and all four pumps run on the same mode and speed. It's almost as if the primary tank's MP40's are completely ignoring the RF module on their own tank.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have tried the setup several ways - with the other tank powered off and on, and I can't get it to work properly. Looking at the Vortech site, they say that in order to set up a second group or tank the new group has to be set up within 5 feet of the old group. I can't tell you how much of a pain that would be, but I through the RF module was already pulling a separate channel and if the pumps linked to that then all should be fine.

Any thoughts?
rimai

Re: 2 or more RF Modules at the same time

Post by rimai »

I'll have to see if I can get to replicate your scenario.
Roberto.