Rebooting the Wifi unit

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
ecam

Rebooting the Wifi unit

Post by ecam »

Hey guys. is there anyway to have to WIFI unit reboot itself every few hours. I've been having issues when the unit will stop communicating and I would have to go home and unplug the wifi and replug it to get it to work again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Sacohen

Re: Rebooting the Wifi unit

Post by Sacohen »

There is a thread on this already. I can't remember where right now and I'm not in a position to look for it now.
ecam

Post by ecam »

Sacohen wrote:There is a thread on this already. I can't remember where right now and I'm not in a position to look for it now.

I figured as such.. but i cant seem to find it anywhere. I've searched on various keywords already... any help would be greatly appreciated
ecam

Post by ecam »

I found this in an old thread. Did anything ever come of this? Would this code work to setup a reboot every x hrs?

rimai wrote:Do you have any software pulling data from RA, such as Client or gadget?
Try adding this to your loop():

Code: Select all

if (millis()%3600000<500)
  {
    Serial.print("$$$");
    wdt_reset();
    delay(700);
    wdt_reset();
    Serial.println("reboot");
  }
Let me know how it goes.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

That reboots the head unit. This was setting on the WiFi unit directly. However, the big issues were fixed with the 4.x firmware.. are you updated? Those with continuing issues went with external antennas which helped a lot. Hopefully roberto will chime in soon. I'm sure he remembers.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, I think updating the firmware and getting better signal will greatly improve your situation.
Roberto.
rimai

Post by rimai »

http://www.microchip.com/support/KBArti ... D=KB100337
From the Microchip website:

When upgrading firmware from a version lower than 4.0, a two-step upgrade process is required to achieve the full functionality of v4.XX firmware. The process for this upgrade is shown below, for both the RN131 and RN171 modules. Note that the firmware image names are different between the two modules.

1. Update the firmware .img file to version 4.xx using the ftp update command. Then reboot, factory R, and reboot to boot into the new firmware image.

2. Download the .mif file using the ftp update command. Issue a factory R, and reboot.

For RN131 module
// update the img file

ftp update wifly3-400.img

// required sequence

reboot
$$$
factory R
reboot

// update the mif file

ftp update wifly3-400.mif

// required sequence

// module automatically reboots after .mif download, so first reboot removed

$$$
factory R
reboot
Roberto.
ecam

Post by ecam »

How do I check the firmware? I brought the unit last year.... So i figured it should be updated. But how do i check
rimai

Post by rimai »

Use teraterm or putty.
When you enter command mode, it will tell you which version it is.
Roberto.
arch

Post by arch »

After each update, you'll probably also need to re-enable auto-join (it's disabled by default in v4.0 and above):

set wlan join 1
save
cjrudy

Post by cjrudy »

Here is the link for the external antenna if you ever want to modify, it made quite a difference for me.

http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.ph ... al+antenna