2 Heaters on 2 Temp Probes

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
MarcWake

2 Heaters on 2 Temp Probes

Post by MarcWake »

I setup a second temp probe in a tank I use for water changes. I have my main heater on Port2 using the normal heater functions off Probe1. I setup the Second heater on Port 4 to trigger off of Probe 3 using code I found here:

Code: Select all

if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]>790) ReefAngel.Relay.Off( Port4 );
    if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]<780) ReefAngel.Relay.On( Port4 );
This seems to be working but the main Probe tends to turn the Heater on Port2 on and off before the Heater in other tank turns on and it does all the work because the water change tank drops in temp slightly slower than the sump. In my setup I am using this to heat water in a water change tank. I cut this tank off from the rest of the system and change the water here then once its matched to the rest of the water bring it back into the loop with the rest of the system. My idea is when I drain the water I can manually turn Port4 off then once I have water in the tank let the reef angel bring it up to temp for me. The only issue I see is the heater permanently in this tank doesn't end up helping with the normal heating. My idea is to have the second heater turn on based on Probe3 or by reading the status of Port2. I coded this but want to run it by someone else before I upload it and try it.

if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]<780 || ({ReefAngel.Relay.Status[ Port2 ] == 1} && {ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]<790}) ReefAngel.Relay.On( Port4 );
Does this seem like it would turn on the heater on Port4 if relay port2 is on and the water change tank is not above 790 temp?
Thanks for the help
Marc Wakefield
cosmith71

Re: 2 Heaters on 2 Temp Probes

Post by cosmith71 »

I haven't had enough coffee to understand what your setup is, but this should work.
Does this seem like it would turn on the heater on Port4 if relay port2 is on and the water change tank is not above 790 temp?

if (ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]<780 || (ReefAngel.Relay.Status( Port2 ) == 1 && ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]<790)) ReefAngel.Relay.On( Port4 );
Is this for regular water changes, denitrator? How often is the water being changed? Not that it matters, just trying to figure out what you're doing.

Hope this helps,

--Colin
MarcWake

Post by MarcWake »

In my setup I have a 55 gallon drum that the water runs through then goes back to the sump. It is fairly low flow so stuff settles out in there. For a water change I turn ball valves to cut off the feed and drain from this tank then stir everything up and drain it. I then mix new water in this tank and when its ready open the valves back up and put it back in the loop with the rest of the tank. Hope that makes it more clear, this way for a water change I just turn a few valves to empty it then refill and mix it. No heavy lifting or need to measure how much water I remove and this tank can be out of the loop for as long as I need if I get distracted mid change and it takes a day.

Thanks for the input
Marc
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Oh, I see. That's actually a nice setup.

--Colin
rimai

Post by rimai »

So, do you want it to turn on port 4 when port 2 is active?
Roberto.
MarcWake

Post by MarcWake »

ya as long as Probe3 is not over 790, but I also want it to come on if Probe3 is under 780. So it will basically run the same as Port2 normally but when the tank is disconnected and being used to heat water change water it will work independent.
MarcWake

Post by MarcWake »

Ok so I tried out that code and it seems to work except when the tanks get close to 79 port4 wants to cycle a lot. I think its because the tank the heater on port4 is in is smaller and heats a little faster than it can equalize in the system. So it reaches 79 exactly for a second then kicks off but port2 is still at 789 so it is still on. On the next refresh the water change tank is at 789 again and cycles back on. I am going to change the statement that turns Port4 off to:

If ((ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]>790 && ReefAngel.Relay.Status(Port2) == 0) || ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T3_PROBE]>793) ReefAngel.Relay.Off(Port4);
I think this will let the heater run a little longer so that T1_Probe will reach 790 and both will shut off except when I have the tanks cut off from each other then it will heat the water to 793. It will still cycle if the water change tank reaches 793 while the tanks are cut off and the main tank is still heating though.... Haven't thought up a way around that yet.