Back-up return pump

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
Ismaclst

Back-up return pump

Post by Ismaclst »

Anybody running a back-up return pump on their tank? I ask this because I just bought a Jebao DCT 6000 return pump. After buying it, I have heard about a lot of failures with these pumps.
Ismaclst

Re: Back-up return pump

Post by Ismaclst »

I was wanting to run the Jebao like Roberto did, so I would have a silent overflow. I was wanting, if in the unfortunate event the Jebao stopped working, that the reef angel would somehow detect this and would then turn the back-up pump on and the main pump off. I bought the multi-channel water level sensor to use for the ato and to control the Jebao DC return pump. Anybody have an idea how I would code this?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

How would you keep the water pressure from escaping through the unused pump instead of going into the return line?

--Colin
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

It would be a separate run for the back-up pump. I plan on coming of the main pump to power my GFO and GAC reactors and then to the tank with pvc pipe. The back-up pump would just be a hose going directly to the tank.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Got it. Good idea.

My guess would be to sense if the water level in the sump has risen and then kick in the spare pump. Unfortunately, I don't have the water level expansion and I'm not familiar with programming it. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to do though. Maybe someone else can chime in?

--Colin
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

When would you activate it or would you run it constant?
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

I guess I would want to activate it when the return area in the sump if the level was too high. I would want to turn off the port that the main pump was on just in case if it started to work again. It would have to be able to be bypassed when you did a water change, though.
vvjosh06

Post by vvjosh06 »

You could plumb the two pumps together using a y connector and putting a check valve right after each pump that when when one shuts off and the other turns on water can't get through the check valve and you still run the GFO and GAC
Ismaclst

Post by Ismaclst »

That's not a bad idea. I guess my concern was to just keep water circulating until I was able to fix it, since my heaters are in my sump.
vvjosh06

Post by vvjosh06 »

I think that would be your best bet that way you done have 2 different return lines and still can use your reactors and stuff.