New to RA, have DIY Arduino Controller, Can I use RA system?

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
Nate_Bro

New to RA, have DIY Arduino Controller, Can I use RA system?

Post by Nate_Bro »

Ok, so I have my own Arduino Mega system I have been using for a few years now. I want to add a few more features, and I really like how the RA community has grown and the tools/libraries that are available.

My question is can I use my arduino mega 2560 with my ethernet module and start working with the RA code, libraries, and portal? The reason I ask is, I wanted to add moon phases to my system, and stumbled on the moon phases in the RA library at GetHub. While I was browsing I noticed an ethernet library I believe is compatible with my module.

So my question is, Can I take my arduino mega 2560, and ethernet module, and take advantage of the RA system as far as code is concerned? Is the wifi module the ONLY way to get connected to the internet, and get going with the portal? So many times I feel like I am just reinventing the wheel as I spend hours/weeks/months/years writing my code.

I already have my own modules and relays and such built, but if I knew more, or could find schematics (other then just the eagle files) I think I could make a transition to the RA "platform".

Thanks for any help,

I was able to find a few projects one here that people started, but nothing I have found so far was finished.
lnevo

Re: New to RA, have DIY Arduino Controller, Can I use RA sys

Post by lnevo »

We've had a number of people using Mega's. I know Roberto has had some tips to do so. The moon library is something I took from another arduino controller code. It should take very little modification to work on your mega. The only difference being some time functions that I had to change to be compatible and an include I had to add after we went to 1.x code.

I'm pretty sure the ethernet module will work, but we don't have many users that I know are doing so. I guess Roberto also could give some feedback there.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think it could work.
The chip select pin must be PB0.
Then you would have to use the Reef Angel Star feature.
Add this to your setup()

Code: Select all

ReefAngel.Star();
Roberto.
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

thanks guys!

I'm going to start uploading and playing now.
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

rimai wrote:I think it could work.
The chip select pin must be PB0.
something like this?

#define RESET     SS
(which is PB0 broken out on PIN 53 of ArduinoMega2560) to

#define RESET     10
(PB4 of the ATmega2560)
rimai wrote: Then you would have to use the Reef Angel Star feature.
Add this to your setup()

ReefAngel.Star();
is there any more info on the "star" then what is at github-com/reefangel/Libraries/tree/master/ReefAngel/Star
rimai

Post by rimai »

If your shield uses another pin, you would need to change the w5100.h file
Roberto.
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

rimai wrote:If your shield uses another pin, you would need to change the w5100.h file
i have two kinds so i'll just go with what one works first, thanks
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

Nate_Bro wrote:
rimai wrote:If your shield uses another pin, you would need to change the w5100.h file
i have two kinds so i'll just go with what one works first, thanks
well I gave up and just connected pins 51-52-53 to 11-13-10 on the shield.. I got the test web client to work, web server still will not working, I have to work on that more. now to try and get the RA going. serial says no Internal Memory so I'm guessing I need to add some i2s EEPOM memory?
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

No, it's using internal memory.

The RA code is a good place to learn how things are happening but there's a lot more to the base RA than just a mega. It also has RTC, 8 port digital I/O expander, LCD, one wire, LED's, joystick, and pH. If you want the RA code to run on your platform you'll have to rewrite a bunch of things to support the hardware you have or build a shield with all the same components. If you consider the cost of replicating the RA hardware with arduino modules and shields and the cost of your time to build it all yourself you'll quickly realize the RA is a great deal.
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

KRavEN wrote:No, it's using internal memory.

The RA code is a good place to learn how things are happening but there's a lot more to the base RA than just a mega. It also has RTC, 8 port digital I/O expander, LCD, one wire, LED's, joystick, and pH. If you want the RA code to run on your platform you'll have to rewrite a bunch of things to support the hardware you have or build a shield with all the same components. If you consider the cost of replicating the RA hardware with arduino modules and shields and the cost of your time to build it all yourself you'll quickly realize the RA is a great deal.
Its a non money issue :D

besides I have all the components I would need (besides the joystick and LCD)...

some people like myself build things like this for fun. I have the Reef Keeper system currently controlling things while my mega is in development again, so I don't even need a controller, but I just want to build one from scratch because I want a certain automation of my fish room, and thats it.

I'll keep digging and reading.
Nate_Bro

Post by Nate_Bro »

I was able to find this thread, looks like there are lots of good things going on here http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4099