Automatic Water Change Idea

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
dedvalson

Automatic Water Change Idea

Post by dedvalson »

Hi,

I wanted to get your opinion on an idea I have for an automatic water changer.

I currently have 3 pumps. One is my normal ATO and comes from a large barrel of RO/DI water. I have a second pump coming from a large barrel of saltwater and a third which pumps water out of my sump and into a drain.

I currently run my ATO using one of the 4 level sensors in my 4 channel level sensor.

I was considering the following:

During the hour from 0100 to 0200 hours I would disable the normal ATO.
From 0100 to 0115 I would run the drain pump until the level sensor read less than 50% (I normally run it at 75%)
From 0115 to 0200 I would run the normal ATO program, but using the saltwater pump instead.
At 0200, normal ATO operation would resume.

By basing it on time and levels like this, I don't need any flags. I think it would work properly even if the controller reset at any point in it.

Do you see any problems with this scheme?

Thanks,

Don
lnevo

Re: Automatic Water Change Idea

Post by lnevo »

Best way to do it IMO.
ucez

Post by ucez »

I do something similar, but not linked to water level. The salt pump and drain pump turn on simultaneously and are calibrated to add/remove same amount of water.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
gaberosenfield

Post by gaberosenfield »

I do exactly what you do, but with float switches. ~0.66% water change automatically every evening. Not much, but enough to amount to about a single 15% water change per month. And no buckets lifted. EVER. :-)