Initial setup help please...

Do you have a question on how to do something.
Ask in here.
Ace25

Initial setup help please...

Post by Ace25 »

So I bought all this stuff last November.. been working on too many other projects up until now. Finally got the bigger projects out of the way so I am now onto setting up my controller. After a couple days of trying, I admit, I need help.

As you can see, I have 2 power blocks, WiFi adapter (which I got working/connected to my network), and a PWM add-on. I have tried the Dev libraries, can update the controller all day long with the software, but I can't configure any of the power ports nor can I do anything with my PWM controller. When I use the Dev libraries it makes the LCD screen on the controller worthless (meaning you can't use it, it just displays info). Setting it up with the software that is available is easy to understand, but won't work for my setup, and I am a little lost about what files to manually edit to be able to configure my power ports and PWM signals. Do I add the info in the .pde file I got with the PWM add-on with another file or do I make a call from one file to the pwm.pde file?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction. :D
rimai

Re: Initial setup help please...

Post by rimai »

Hi,

I'll start by mentioning that you are missing a piece of equipment.
At the time of your purchase, it was not yet available, but it is in the web store now.
You need the expansion hub to get the PWM module to work.
http://www.reefangel.com/Products.Expansion-Hub.ashx
So, let's just start by removing the PWM expansion module out of the equation for now. We'll get back to it later on.
For now, don't worry about manually editing any files. You don't need to.
Follow the instructions on this thread: http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60
Just wait for me to place the last video today, which will give you a walk-through on how to generate the code.
I always like to start small and keep building as you get things accomplished, so we will just start by getting the main relay box working for now.
More to come...
Roberto.
Ace25

Post by Ace25 »

Thanks, that helped clear up a little fog in my head.. I have followed step 1 and setup the internal memory correctly now. One small step in the right direction.

I now understand why the USB expansion is needed. So I will order one of those soon.

I know the PWM box needs a power source as well, which isn't installed/pictured, nor is the pH probe, temp sensors, and ATO switches. Like you said, start small, so my first goal was just to get the power ports setup and go from there. My goal for the 8 ports next to the PWM box is:

1 - 12v adapter for Main LED light fans
2 - 12v adapter for PWM signal
3 - LED Driver 1 - Royal Blue
4 - LED Driver 2 - Blue/Cyan
5 - LED Driver 3 - Cool White
6 - LED Driver 4 - Neutral/Warm White
7 - Sump LED Driver
8 - Sump LED Fans

Power block next to controller:
1 - Heater 1
2 - Heater 2
3 - Chiller
4 - ATO Pump
5 - Closed Loop Pump
6 - Return Pump
7 - Vortech MP40
8 - Skimmer
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

nice, clean setup. What size tank? I have the same equipment, but I am still using halides. Looking to swap over soon I hope.
Ace25

Post by Ace25 »

I have a 75G tank, 30"x24"x24".

I got the ports working. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was going through all the tabs on the RAGen program and hitting generate on the internal mem tab the entire time. I didn't realize you had to generate 2 different files. Once I did the internal mem like the video shows, then went back and did the other part, the display now works (I can use it/do things with it) and the first power block is working. Now I need to figure out how to setup the second one.
binder

Post by binder »

Ace25 wrote:Now I need to figure out how to setup the second one.
The second power block you will have to manually code yourself right now. RAGen doesn't handle multiple expansion boxes (yet). When you go to code the second expansion box, the ports are defined as:

Box1_Port1, Box1_Port2, ...., Box1_Port8

You can use RAGen to generate code for an expansion box how you would like it to be and just add the code into your loop() of your main PDE file and change the ports to be like I mentioned above.

curt
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yeah, that's why I said there was a missing video to be coming. It would show the second part of the code generation, which you obviously already figured out.
Now, to the second relay box.
The first thing you want to make sure is that you have placed the jumpers on the head unit according to the relay expansion module manual. Then also make sure that the module is assigned to id #1.
This release of RAGen does not have the capability of assigning functions to the expansion boxes just yet.
So, we are going to do it manually.
Just below the last function on your code, you want to add the following:

Code: Select all

// Relay expansion box #1
// Since all ports are going to use light scheduling, we will use the StandardLights() function
// All ports are hard coded to turn on at 8:00 and off at 22:00
// You can change the schedule to meet your own needs.
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port1,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port2,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port3,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port4,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port5,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port6,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port7,8,0,22,0);
  ReefAngel.StandardLights(Box1_Port8,8,0,22,0);
This should take care of getting the second box running.
Roberto.