AvrStudio 4

Would you like to help?
Share your walkthrough tutorial with others

Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:22 pm
All:

Finally succeeded in porting over the ReefAngel project to AvrStudio 4. this hopefully gives me the ability to program/debug using the AvrStudio IDE as opposed to the Arduino which lacks any debugging tools. Baby steps anyways.

-=Bryan=-
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (99.42 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.11 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
-=Bryan=-

Posts: 12288
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm
Sweet!!!
So, AVR Studio->Dragon->328P?
Are you using the RESET pin with that one wire protocol (debugWIRE)?
Now, can you really do breakpoints and line-by-line execution?
Roberto.

Posts: 12288
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:47 pm
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 pm
I moved this thread to Tutorials.
Can you write up something on how you got that accomplished?
Roberto.

Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:23 pm
rimai wrote:Sweet!!!
So, AVR Studio->Dragon->328P?
Are you using the RESET pin with that one wire protocol (debugWIRE)?
Now, can you really do breakpoints and line-by-line execution?


Yes, hoping to be able to do some debugging, or at least try, I was not planning on using the Arduino itself, but just breadboard the RA for now. Hoping the Dragon will do the job.

Yes, the debugwire, but have to read up a little more on it as it can be a bit tricky. first step was to be able to compile and build the project(s) first. I was able to compile the RAgen examples and your RA preloaded code in AVRStudio 4.

I don't know how you guys and gals can code so proficiently with the Arduino IDE, just can not see how a large project can be accomplished without some serious debugging tools.
Last edited by Bryan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=Bryan=-

Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm
rimai wrote:I moved this thread to Tutorials.
Can you write up something on how you got that accomplished?


Sure, give me a couple day and I will post some screenshots and some references.

-=Bryan=-
-=Bryan=-
User avatar
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:56 pm
Bryan wrote:I don't know how you guys and gals can code so proficiently with the Arduino IDE, just can not see how a large project can be accomplished without some serious debugging tools.


It's tough on my end. My programming background helps out. I don't use the Arduino IDE at all (except to upload sketches). I use my standard IDE and make the changes that way. I do a lot of testing with program flow logic and reading up on how things work....oh and the good ole "compile and upload" haha.

I am curious about how to do this...so, like Roberto, I'm excited to see screenshots and how to configure and set things up.

curt

Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:33 am
Not sure what you mean by "Standard IDE"?

I will have something up posted by Sunday.

Cheers
-=Bryan=-
User avatar
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 am
Bryan wrote:Not sure what you mean by "Standard IDE"?

I will have something up posted by Sunday.

Cheers

What I mean by "standard IDE" is what I normally use when I program. I currently use Codeblocks as my IDE for writing my C/C++ applications. I use Codeblocks to manage the files but I cannot compile anything through it for Arduino....just write the code.

curt

Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:49 am
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:48 pm
Aah, i see, then you will certainly like AVRStudio, can write your code , compile and even upload the code to the MCU. And hopefully debug!!
-=Bryan=-
User avatar
Posts: 2746
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Illinois
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:23 pm
Bryan wrote:Aah, i see, then you will certainly like AVRStudio, can write your code , compile and even upload the code to the MCU. And hopefully debug!!

The debug would be great....especially to monitor variables and expressions. :)
Next

Return to Tutorials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest