Ph cal

Would you like to help?
Share your walkthrough tutorial with others

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 am
Hi guys. Please feel free to call me stupid. But can someone give me a step by step guide on setting up the ph probe. From plugging it in to putting it in the tank.

Thanks again for all help.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:55 am
+1

Would be interested too :)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:50 am
Anyone?
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:18 am
There's not much to it. You have to attach it to your controller with the connector in the top middle of the controller (see the manual on page 5 to have it point exactly to the connector, but it's the only one that will fit/match). Then you will want to have the part of the probe that is inside the fluid be mounted in the water.
You can mount it however you like just as long as that section is submerged. Some people:
  • Create a mounting bracket for it to mount it
  • Use a suction mount like a glass thermometer uses
  • Poke it through a piece of styrofoam so that it floats

Depending on where you mount it depends on the type of mount you use. I wouldn't hard mount it in an area that the water level fluctuates (like in the return area of your sump). I would mount it where the water level would stay even. If you know the water level fluctuates where you are going to mount it, then the styrofoam example would be best for you. Maybe others have more suggestions.

Once it is mounted, then you can start your controller (plug the power into it). You may have to calibrate the probe and that can be done if needed.

There's not much to it as far as a step by step goes. It's simple as
1. Mount the probe
2. Plug into controller
3. Turn on controller
4. Calibrate software if needed

curt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:33 am
Hi buddy thanks for the fast reply.
I have done all of that bar the calibrating part. I have just put the whole probe in the water? Is that right or just the bottom have to be in the water??
It's showing readings of -20 to 20 on the reef angel so can't be right. Maybe have to be calibrated.
Can you tell me how to do that?
Sorry to be a pain.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:23 pm
You can dip the whole thing in the water or just the tip. I usually leave at mid way.
You need to calibrate it to show correct readings though.
I'm gonna assume you already have your computer setup and can upload codes to the controller as well as be able to use RAGen.
If not, please follow this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60
To get the probe calibrated, you will need pH 7.0 and 10.0 standards (not included). You can find them easily at your LFS.
1. Use RAGen to upload your code.
2. Using the joystick, navigate to: Setup->Calibrate pH.
3. Make sure the probe is clean and dip it on the pH7.0 standard.
4. Let it stabilize. It may take several minutes.
5. Rinse it and place it on pH10.0 standard.
6. Let it stabilize. It may take several minutes.
7. Press OK.
8. The current libraries (version 0.8.5.14) require you to power cycle the controller to take new settings.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm
HI,

I have a hand held PH reader that tests spot on with the calibration solutions, so I know that the reading from the PH probe on the RA is off, I calibrated as stated about, allowing 7-10 min for stabilization and after power cycling it still reads off, a little better but only about .1 higher, in the tank, handheld reads 8.1 where the RA ph probe reads 7.64. Is there something that can be done?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:25 am
Did you try rebooting the controller after recalibrating?? I recall Curt mentioning the need to reboot to pick up the new calibrated values.
Roberto.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:37 am
yes i believe that rebooting is needed to make use of the new values.

curt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm
Yes, unplugged it, plugged it back in....no difference....I will try it again to be sure.
Next

Return to Tutorials