Red Sea Max 500

New members questions
modulok

Red Sea Max 500

Post by modulok »

I have a RSM S500 (125 gal tank with 16 gal sump). I am looking to add a controller, but I am not completely sure what I would need.

The tank already has an integrated ATO system and power center with switches all built in. It includes 3 power strips; 2 power stripes are controlled by the front panel switches, and 1 power strip is controlled by two analog timers.

acrylicaquariumsdirect(remove this part).com/images/products/display/RedSeaMaxS500LG.jpg

Here is my current power strip usage:
3 flow pumps (left power strip)
1 return pump (left power strip)

1 center light panel - 2x T5 bulbs (left timer)
1 front light panel - 4x T5 bulbs (right timer)
1 back light panel - 4x T5 bulbs (right timer)

1 led moon lights - 12 leds
1 sump light (runs with moon light timer)

1 skimmer pump (right power strip)
2 heaters (right power strip)

12 total powered items

I want to add a fan or two for the lighting fixture (heatsink) and water cooling before next summer.

I know I want the wifi setup, but I am unsure if I should get the extra relay box for 16 total items. I could continue to use the built in timers for the lighting. But it's possible to convert lighting to LED at some point.
Also not sure which model to choose, RA plus with PWM or Analog.
Sebyte

Re: Red Sea Max 500

Post by Sebyte »

Hi,

I am envious of you, I have been running a Red Sea Max 250 since August 2010 and have found it both a joy and frustration.

I added the Reef Angel almost a year ago and have found it a great asset for automation, and also some peace of mind when I travel as I can log on and check things out.

I am sure that with some modification to the RSM500 circuits you should be good to go with the RA.

I have built my own LED lighting system which the RA controls producing a simulation of the light intensity changes throughout the day.

It is only your imagination that can limit the flexibility of the RA, and Roberto as well as other members of the forum will help and advise on what you need to do.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'd go with RA+ with PWM signal and if your budget allows, you could also get the relay expansion module.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

What are the dimensions of the relay box?
rimai

Post by rimai »

About 9x4x3
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

OK that will be perfect. If I remove the 1st & 3rd power strips I have almost 5" on either side of the lighting strip.

I can leave the center power strip in to control the lights for the time being. Then add the extra relay box in the future if I want to change lights. Because I really don't see a need to do anything with the T5 lights that I cannot do now.

Right now I have the center fixture come on at 10:30am. Then at 11:30am the front & back fixtures come on. At 4pm the front & back fixtures shut off. And 7:30pm the center shuts off, and the moonlights kick on with the sump light.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Sebyte wrote:Hi,

I am envious of you, I have been running a Red Sea Max 250 since August 2010 and have found it both a joy and frustration.

I added the Reef Angel almost a year ago and have found it a great asset for automation, and also some peace of mind when I travel as I can log on and check things out.
I upgraded from the RSM 250. I had it for about 9 months before upgrading to the 500.

I'm not sure if it is allowed, but I have a tank thread on ReefSanctuary. If you are ever considering upgrading there are a ton of S series threads there. I knew I wanted to upgrade to a larger tank and the S series was coming out. It addressed all of the things I didn't like about the 250.

Regarding the LEDs, did you integrate them into the stock hood? I think some day I would like to upgrade to LED. Red Sea says they would need conclusive results to have them available from them.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

I fitted 72 x 3 watt LED's into the stock hood of the RSM250 and found that the stocks fans were able to keep the heat sink at an acceptable level.

I have 36 white and 36 blue. Using the perabular code I get a good spread of light over the day. In fact they are so bright I have to limit them to 70% max output. The coral growth is rampant for softies and LPS, I have not tried SPS yet but may do so soon.

Take a look at http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=788 for details on where I got my parts.
modulok

Post by modulok »

OK, so here is my list to buy and what I am planning on setting up. Please let me know if I should do anything else or add something I may have missed.

RA+ PWM
Relay Exp & Box
Wifi Attach
2 additional Temp Probes (for a total of 3)
Dimmable Moonlight

Items to control
  • Pump control
  • Heater control
  • PH monitor
  • Temp monitor (room/display tank/sump)
  • Lighting (3 separate T5 panels, 1 LED moonlight strip, 1 RA dimmable moonlight)
  • External cooling (for airflow over water surface and lighting)
What I am planning to program
  • Use RSM moonlights for evenings and sunrise hours before T5 start to come on
  • Use RA dimmable moonlights for moon cycles
  • Different feed modes for fish & coral
  • Turn heaters on/off when necessary
  • Turn fan on/off when necessary
  • Turn off light panels for overheating
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think you are good :)
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Is one dimmable moonlight enough for this size tank? The 12 LED moonlights are spread across the length of the light fixture, holding 48" bulbs.

How does the moonlight attach? I can't see from the product image.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can cover about 12" to 18" with one dimmable module.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Then I would need 3 of them...I'm thinking maybe I can just use the LED moonlights I have, and set them to go on/off and set the duration to the moon cycle. Could I do that? No dimming though.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you could do that.
The RA only has 2 dimming channels though. You would need the dimming module if you want more than 2 channels.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Could you briefly explain how to set a variable moonlight cycle? I didn't see anything on my search of the forums.

I know I could set it for Monday on 10pm, Tuesday off at 3am. But how would I vary the light based on the cycle? Would it connect to the internet for the schedule, or would I have to manually set each day and hours?
rimai

Post by rimai »

The moon cycle follow the phases of the moon. It will change everyday to the % of the full moon and you can dim the dimmable moonlights accordingly.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Sorry, I meant without a dimmable light.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Humm... If they are not dimmable, how do you want to dim them to simulate the moon phase?
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Well the brightness would not change, just the duration of lights on versus complete darkness.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm not following.
So, you want let's say 12 hours of moonlight for full moon and 0 hours of moonlight for new moon??
Then you want to calculate the number of hours according to the % of the moon.
For example, 25% would mean 4 hours?
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Yeah, that's correct.

It would be something in between using the dimmable moon cycle and the moonlights on opposite of the daylight.
And I'd have to figure out the schedule so it would be rotated based the moon cycle.
rimai

Post by rimai »

It's easy to calculate the number of hours it should stay on, cause it is just get 12 hours multiply by the moon phase %, but I'm not sure how to rotate it.
How does the moon rotate?
Roberto.
lnevo

Red Sea Max 500

Post by lnevo »

I have my lights on/off based on sunrise/sunset at the great barrier reef and when the lights are off, then the moonlights are on. The dim level of those lights are set by the MoonPhase() function. Does that sound like what your looking to do?
modulok

Post by modulok »

I mean rotate the pattern. So full moon would be 12hr or 100%.
To do a simple breakdown,
start at 100%
- 75% 9hr
- 50% 6hr
- 25% 3hr
- 0% 0hr
- 25% 3hr
- 50% 6hr
- 75% 9hr
- 100% 12hr

Basically just turning the moonlights on/off at different times of the night. Is that more clear?

I am just thinking out loud. If it won't work or no value added to my reef system its ok. I'm just trying to use the leds already built in. They are pretty bright (compared to the Red Sea Max 250), and I was thinking the reef would enjoy some darkness.
lnevo

Red Sea Max 500

Post by lnevo »

You should be able to use the standard dimming functions or scheduling to get a slope like that...
Do you want the steps in that increment or simulate sunrise set %,for the moonlight. When you use the wizard you can pick the slope you want and the moonlights automatically are automatically the opposite schedule of the main lights, or whenever you want. But you also have the choice of having a lunar cycle where the dim % is based on full moon, to no moon on the lunar cycle...whichever way you want it's not too tough.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Instead of trying something complicated with the length of hours variation with the stock moonlights I will get 2 of the dimmable moonlights. Hopefully there is enough spread, otherwise I would need to add more dimmable moonlights with the dimming module, correct?

Also, I am thinking of using the water level expansion for the sump level in the return pump section. If adding a 2nd relay, I would need the expansion hub as well, correct?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes for both
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Is there any RA configuration helper (besides Roberto) where you can input what you would like to setup and it will tell you what products to purchase? I will setup a diagram of what I would like to achieve so I can get everything I need on the first order.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That's a nice idea, but there is nothing like that yet :(
But feel free to post your diagram for review.
Roberto.
modulok

Post by modulok »

Red is optional if I decide to add water and dimming addons. I probably will wait to add those in the future.

I would like to use the power outage code and keep the main relay on the UPS and have RA disable ports except a flow pump. Maybe delay it 30 seconds before shutting down ports so my return pump won't have to spit out a mini bubble storm.

Next thing to do is measure quick to see if I need any extensions. How long is the wire for the dimmable moonlights? I know I will have to either buy the temp extensions or make one, because I know 3 feet will barely reach the bottom of the glass.