WiFi Not Staying Connected

New members questions
Squishie89

WiFi Not Staying Connected

Post by Squishie89 »

After power cycling the WiFi module it connects to the router and will serve up the reef angel web server web message. The signal is strong, about 85%, but after a couple of minutes it seems the WiFi module goes to sleep, and the blue light starts flashing. Using Comcast internet, D-Link DIR-825 router. When it is connected and the portal was brought up, it shows as "Unreachable Address" but when I click on the WiFi address I get the reef angel web server message, which would otherwise show that I am connected.
rimai

Re: WiFi Not Staying Connected

Post by rimai »

Blue blinking like that doesn't look correct.
Do you have any other wifi network to try?
Roberto.
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Did y'all get that system back on the 192 network or is it still connecting to the 10.1? Let us know. If yes, it seems to be losing that connection to the 192. This is why I went to comcast-only router\wifi solution.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Normally D-Link comes at 192.168 network. It's been a while but I'd sure you can change it to a 10.1

Fat
Squishie89

Post by Squishie89 »

After power cycling the wi-fi unit, it connects to the router fine. It acquires a static IP, the port forwarding works, the Reef Angel client and site receive information. Everything looks good.

Then after a few moments or a few hours, the wi-fi unit loses connectivity. After a few minutes of lack of communication, it will not reestablish connection to the router until the wi-fi unit is power cycled. Unable to identify any correlation with cell phone or wireless phone usage. There are plenty of wi-fi networks in the neighboring homes, but shifting channels in the 2.4GHz band had no impact.

Tried several adjustments to the router: changing the channel width to 20 Mhz, switching NetBIOS announcement on, turned off 802.11b, turned off wi-fi protected setup. No changes to the RTS or Fragmentation Thresholds since that can severely impact performance.

Is there any way for the wi-fi unit to communicate in the 5GHz band? Or automatically reset the wi-fi unit if it has been incommunicado for a period of time? Any other thoughts? The router is a D-Link DIR-825 and it is running the latest firmware.
rimai

Post by rimai »

There was a firmware bug that Roving Networks stated a while ago.
Their engineers were working on a fix, but it is not released yet.
We got an invitation to try out the beta release, if you are interested.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?p=17006#p17006
Roberto.
DougY

Post by DougY »

Okay, I've been using the 2.372 firmware for 2 days now without any lockup. This is compared to multiple times per day previously with V2.36 and V2.32. If I don't repost, assume that the problem has been fixed - for me anyways!
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

remind us of your problem..were you locking up or losing connectivity like the above poster and having to power-cycle the wifi unit to get it to reconnect. Hopefully you have solved the problem. Thx
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
DougY

Post by DougY »

I don't know if it was the same problem, but the resolution was the same. I could only regain connectivity by power cycling the wifi unit. With V2.372 firmware, there are times when my Iphone app will take up to a minute to connect, but it always has - so far. Not sure what's happening during this period. With previous firmware versions if the app didn't connect immediately (said "updating" on upper left of screen), then I would normally have to then go and cycle power to the wifi unit to get it to work again.
Squishie89

Post by Squishie89 »

Well I have great news. My father downgraded the firmware to version 2.32 I believe and the wifi has been up for more than 48 hours and counting! Android app works great with it, and I can use the portal. Thank you so much everyone for your help and guidance. So glad we got this resolved.