Can't get my RA's LEDs to work or connect to Client 3.0

New members questions
Im2Nelson4u

Can't get my RA's LEDs to work or connect to Client 3.0

Post by Im2Nelson4u »

I have a Gen 1 unit for my freshwater plantedtank and never gotten it to work with the RAGEN and resorted to using the Lights on and Light off everyday so I went back to the preloaded code (but the preload code doesn't work with my display and the contrast is wayyy high although all the other features still worked)

Today I saw that Wizard was out so I figure id give custom codes another try

USB COM 5

-I began by uploading InitialInternalMemory
-Then I use Wizard to set my LIGHTS as Port 1
-Configured it to turn on at 5PM and off at 12AM
-Set my Daylight Dimming Channel as Slope
-Start Time =17:00
-Start %= 10%
-Duration = 30 minutes
-End Time = 00:00
-End Percentage = 50% ( anythign higher than 50% causing too much algae of my plants)

After the code was successfully uploaded the current time was 7PM and the lights weren't on

I checked the LED Dimming in the RA menu and it set to 20%? so I corrected the time and dimming percentage but i still dont get anything. The only time I can get the lights to turn on is if i go the Lights menu and set it to LIGHTS ON. It never shuts off until i set it to Lights off.

I installed Client Suite 3.0 but cannot get it to read the current status, when I try to refresh it gives me a memory error even though the listener is connected /running. I cannot stop the service so i uninstalled. Opened Reef Angel Controller and went to Serial Monitor and get nothing at all. I tried this on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 notebooks and none of them worked
Im2Nelson4u

Re: Can't get my RA's LEDs to work or connect to Client 3.0

Post by Im2Nelson4u »

Well after messing with the wizard a bit I got the Lights to work properly but now theres just the problem of getting Client to work.
rimai

Post by rimai »

For the Client to work, you must enable wifi
Roberto.
Im2Nelson4u

Post by Im2Nelson4u »

I thought the Client would work through USB ? also why doesn't serial monitor read anything?
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

The Client will work through USB. The serial monitor isn't working for the same reason as the Client/Listener - it requires you to enable the wifi feature through code on your controller first. It's not obvious because of the name, but the feature "WiFi" as far as the code is concerned really just means "parameter broadcasting" or "external communication". It's not reserved for the wifi addon exclusively - it is used for USB communication as well. Enabling the feature on your controller means it will now be prepared to handle commands and requests coming into it as well as pushing data out while your Reef Angel sketch is running, regardless of the source of those commands (WiFi/USB)

There's a lot of functionality to the wifi feature and it takes up a considerable amount of space when you compile your code which is why its not enabled by default. If you don't have the wifi addon and you're not hooked up to a computer to run the Client (or any other app) 24x7 there's really no need for the feature to be enabled. In your case though, for the Client to work, you will need to enable the feature.
Im2Nelson4u

Post by Im2Nelson4u »

Thanks for explaining that i was so confused on why my computer wasn't reading anything. I would get the wifi attachment but I am setting up a home server about 6 feet away in my closet so I just need to find a 10ft usb extension cord.
dmolton

Post by dmolton »

One of two ways.

Go through the Reef Angel Wizard and when you get to the attachments section, enable the wifi checkbox:

Alternatively you could open your sketch file and add line ReefAngel.AddWifi(); to the end of the loop() function and then compile/upload. I don't think you'll need to manually update the features file..

Code: Select all

void loop()
{
   ReefAngel.AddWifi();
}
I
binder

Post by binder »

dmolton wrote:I don't think you'll need to manually update the features file..
Correct. The features file is automatically handled by Arduino. No more messing with that file and screwing something up accidentally. You might as well "forget" that file even exists. :)
Amos Poh

Post by Amos Poh »

dmolton wrote:One of two ways.

Go through the Reef Angel Wizard and when you get to the attachments section, enable the wifi checkbox:

Alternatively you could open your sketch file and add line ReefAngel.AddWifi(); to the end of the loop() function and then compile/upload. I don't think you'll need to manually update the features file..

Code: Select all

void loop()
{
   ReefAngel.AddWifi();
}
I

whenever i does that on the ReefAngel Wizard it dosnt add this line ReefAngel.AddWifi(); on the code. I have to manually add it. any idea why?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Which version of RA wizard are you using?
Roberto.