Development hardware

New members questions
KRavEN

Development hardware

Post by KRavEN »

I have my reefangel running on my tank and I want to work on some custom code for it. I don't want to test/develop on my RA unit because it's busy doing it's job. I would think it should possible to piece together a hardware development kit out of standard arduino hardware. I have a mega1280 and nokia lcd shield I was using for krusduino before I went with the reefangel. Would there be any big changes to the libraries to support a standard mega1280 or mega2560 board? Has this been asked and answered before but I'm just not finding it searching the forums and google?
rimai

Re: Development hardware

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can do that.
You may need to remap the pins on the libraries though.
Roberto.
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

rimai wrote:Yes, you can do that.
You may need to remap the pins on the libraries though.
Sounds like fun :)

I've been digging through the libraries today. I see a lot of "#if defined(__AVR_ATmega2560__)" statements. I'm betting I just need to add OR __AVR_ATmega1280__. AFAIK the only difference is one has 128k flash and the other 256k. They're pin compatible even.

For the NokiaLCD, using software SPI makes it much easier. I had modified the nokia 3310 library a while back to get the hardware spi working on the mega and that was a bit of a pain.

Any additional tips? I'm thinking now that I should have opened this thread under the hardware or libraries forum.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct. They are the same thing and pin compatible.
The hardware spi would have made the LCD run a little faster, but software spi works fine too.
Roberto.
KRavEN

Post by KRavEN »

Now if there were an easy way to convert from 128x128 display setup to 84x48 nokia 3310 display I already have I wouldn't need to buy a 6100 breakout board.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think the initialization code is different, but other that that you should be able to draw your own screen
Roberto.