Portal DDNS

New members questions
coolbird

Re: Portal DDNS

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:The jumper was replaced by the button.
You can press it instead of placing the jumper.
Tera term doesn't require username and password.
All you need to do is send "$$$" to enter command mode.
At factory settings, it communicates at 9600 baud. Once configured, it communicates at 57600 baud.
If you already have blinking green and router says connected, there is nothing else to be done. It's already setup.
Hi
By the button do you mean the recessed button you press with a paper clip?

my mistake on the tera term I did read that somewhere and forgot :-(

I have re-uploaded the initial memory and ra preloaded and then the wizard so at least my tank is working again but one thing i did notice was that before i restarted the 3rd temp error message on the display was only showin E
and the ra was not responding
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, that button.
How many probes do you have?
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:Yes, that button.
How many probes do you have?
Just the one, if i can get this going I will be ordering the other 2 and the orp and salinity attachements, except for this wifi problem i like this controller :-) (i am sure its all my own fault anyway)
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

A quick question on uploading the wifisetup to the ra

I am presuming that as my router settings are WPA2 I should be using auth mode 4 or should it be 3???

Thanks
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, you can use 4.
Basically, from what I've experienced, the module disregard that setting anyway.
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:Yes, you can use 4.
Basically, from what I've experienced, the module disregard that setting anyway.
Just trying to find a reason for this problem, from my experience it is likely to be something simple that I have overlooked.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

coolbird wrote:
rimai wrote:Yes, you can use 4.
Just trying to find a reason for this problem, from my experience it is likely to be something simple that I have overlooked.
So effictively all i have to put in the wifisetup code is my ssid and my passphrase.

do I need to do anything with the wlan_wep_num or wlan_wep_key or do I leave all the rest of the code alone, I havnt been changing any of this
rimai

Post by rimai »

Yes, but the best option is really the wify utility.
Or, you can use this macro file with Tera Term. This will ensure the settings are all properly setup.
Attachments
wifi attachment.zip
(743 Bytes) Downloaded 406 times
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:Yes, but the best option is really the wify utility.
Or, you can use this macro file with Tera Term. This will ensure the settings are all properly setup.
OK will give it a try
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

coolbird wrote:
rimai wrote:Yes, but the best option is really the wify utility.
OK will give it a try
JUst one thing do you mean the wifi utility in the reef angel controller setup?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

I am not sure thats the problem it sets up ok with this and reports that it opens port 2000, but that said when i try and run the firmware update i get an error.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That may be related to the recent change on the firmware 4.00
I have not updated the wifi utility for that.
It requires a two step process as described in their manual and here:
http://www.rovingnetworks.com/FAQs/How_ ... y_versions
This update will also disable the WPS feature and enable the SoftAP with built-in webserver for config changes.
The internal webserver for config changes is awesome!!! Too bad they are sharing the same idle timer... We use timer of 3 seconds and it is not long enough to do anything.
I've been in touch with them and they said that more config options will be implemented, but there is no real timeframe for that.
enigma32 is working on a new type of remote connection, so let's see what he comes up with.
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:That may be related to the recent change on the firmware 4.00
This update will also disable the WPS feature and enable the SoftAP with built-in webserver for config changes.
The internal webserver for config changes is awesome!!! Too bad they are sharing the same idle timer... We use timer of 3 seconds and it is not long enough to do anything.
I've been in touch with them and they said that more config options will be implemented, but there is no real timeframe for that.
enigma32 is working on a new type of remote connection, so let's see what he comes up with.
Ok then all it leaves me with the thought that I am doing something wrong when I am uploading the wifisetup code!!!
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

coolbird wrote:
rimai wrote:That may be related to the recent change on the firmware 4.00
Ok then all it leaves me with the thought that I am doing something wrong when I am uploading the wifisetup code!!!
I reset the RA and the wifi, although the wifi was a bit of a problem, I tried the tera term method and the terminal just displayed what could best be described as jibberish, to make matters worse the reset button on the wifi adapter did not work, once pressed the adapter just continued to blink green slowly.

Once I had got everything reset and the RA back with the preloaded code I then ran the wifi utility as described here http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=345 and reprogrammed my adapter, this went smoothly and the software reported that it had successfully opened port 2000.

Then I removed the cable USB cable from the wifi adapter and connected to the RA and ran the arduino software to run the wifisetup template.
(This is where I start having problems: I modify the wifisetup to include my Auth Mode, Pass Phrase and SSID, then upload the code, plug in the adapter and press the joystick which then takes a few minutes but eventually the wifi starts to blink slowly green but the RA is then stuck at this point)

My question 2 questions are

When you load the wifisetup template it says "This code can be used to setup your wifi attachment and associate it on your wireless network.
Although, the easiest way and prefered method is to use the wifi graphical setup utility."

What is this "wifi graphical setup utility" and where do I find it, I know about all the utilities for setting up the wifi adapter but this one eludes me!

Second question:

Also in the wifisetup template it states "Once you have it setup, you will want to reload your INO file or generate a new one"

Is there not a way of using the relevant code from the wifisetup including my pass prhrase etc with the code generated by the wizard and just upload all at the same time or am I missing something?

I would like to thank all those that have taken the time and trouble to help with this problem, not to mention displayed amazing patience. :oops:

Regards
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

You don't need to run the wifi setup code.
If you already have it setup on the wifi utility, you are all set.
The wifi setup code is just another option to get it setup, but you already have it setup by using the wifi utility.
Would you be able to help me understand where my mistake was in the manual that makes it confusing and people just think that they need to run the code too after they used the wifi utility?
There are 4 setup methods explained in the manual.
1. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi Attachment using WPS Push-Button
2. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi Attachment using the Wifi Utility
3. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi attachment using your Reef Angel Controller
4. Manual Setup of your Reef Angel Wifi attachment
Maybe I should just say "Jump to section: Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit" at the end of each method??
Is it the piece I'm missing?
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:You don't need to run the wifi setup code.
If you already have it setup on the wifi utility, you are all set.
The wifi setup code is just another option to get it setup, but you already have it setup by using the wifi utility.
Would you be able to help me understand where my mistake was in the manual that makes it confusing and people just think that they need to run the code too after they used the wifi utility?
There are 4 setup methods explained in the manual.
1. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi Attachment using WPS Push-Button
2. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi Attachment using the Wifi Utility
3. Setting up your Reef Angel Wifi attachment using your Reef Angel Controller
4. Manual Setup of your Reef Angel Wifi attachment
Maybe I should just say "Jump to section: Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit" at the end of each method??
Is it the piece I'm missing?
Hi
Let me just say I do appreciate your help.

As I understand it I have to setup the wifi adapter and ensure it is opening port 2000, that is all done but as I read it I then need to run the wifisetup and upload it onto the RA,,,,is that correct

or am I reading it wrong and from setting up the adapter I just need to plug it into the RA??

Regards
Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you referring to this?
Uploading the test code
1. Start your Arduino software
2. Open the wifi test setup code by going to menu File->Sketchbook->Example Codes and selecting WifiTestCode
3. Upload the code to your Reef Angel Controller.
4. After uploading the code, disconnect the USB-TTL converter cable and connect your wifi attachment. For more information on how to connect the wifi attachment, please refer to “Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit” in this manual
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:Are you referring to this?
Uploading the test code
1. Start your Arduino software
2. Open the wifi test setup code by going to menu File->Sketchbook->Example Codes and selecting WifiTestCode
3. Upload the code to your Reef Angel Controller.
4. After uploading the code, disconnect the USB-TTL converter cable and connect your wifi attachment. For more information on how to connect the wifi attachment, please refer to “Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit” in this manual
Yep
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

Looking back at it now I guess its one or the other and not both, after setting up the wifi adpter, I should then have just plugged it into the RA,,,,,,that right?

Doh
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you are referring to that section, I think the confusion was on the name of the code???
wifisetup is not wifitestcode.
Was it the confusion?
Or was simply the missing statement I mention above that I should have a final step "Jump to section: Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit" at the end of each method??
I'm just trying to understand first hand where you got hung up, so I can improve the manual and help others in the future too :)
Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:If you are referring to that section, I think the confusion was on the name of the code???
wifisetup is not wifitestcode.
Was it the confusion?
Or was simply the missing statement I mention above that I should have a final step "Jump to section: Connecting your Reef Angel Wifi attachment to the Head Unit" at the end of each method??
I'm just trying to understand first hand where you got hung up, so I can improve the manual and help others in the future too :)
Hi Roberto

I think the jump to step addition would be a good idea, it would make it kind of "fool proof" for people like me :?

Dave
rimai

Post by rimai »

Roberto.
coolbird

Post by coolbird »

rimai wrote:Thanks :)
Plugged the wifi in and it worked straight away,,,,all those problems because I didn't read the instructions through (more than once) properly.

I have had a few occasions where the RA appears to be frozen and had to restart the relay box but that may be a symptom of my other problems, will see how it goes for the next few days.

Again thanks for the help.