BuildMyLED light compatability with RA?

New members questions
Squishie89

Re: BuildMyLED light compatability with RA?

Post by Squishie89 »

This is all I got as far as an answer, " The drivers need a 0-10V analog control signal to dim the lights."
rimai

Post by rimai »

LOL... We already knew that.
I don't see any information on how to interface with the unit.
Roberto.
Squishie89

Post by Squishie89 »

I will be happy to ask them whatever is needed, if you just tell me what to say/ask, I will relay it to them.
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

From your link you posted

Product Features
- 0-10V Dimming Compatible Driver
- IP66 Waterproof Rating
- CE Safety Certification & RoHS Compliant
- Built-to-Order in the USA
- 3 Year Warranty
- Innovative 'T-Rail' for Unlimited Mounting Options
- Return within 30 Days for Full Refund
- System Includes:
LED fixture/power supply/8' cord/plug/mounting brackets
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

Looks like you could take a stereo connector and cut the opposite ends off and connect to the Reef Angel..
Heres a link they sell for the Apex
http://www.buildmyled.com/apex-dimming-cable/
paulvisco

Post by paulvisco »

guess the real question is where power and grnd go...
cgravelle

Post by cgravelle »

I have been looking at the BuildMyLED lights and was wondering of you got these running without any issues? Did you end up having to make your own cable or were you able to find the right one? For example, I was just wondering of the Aqua Illumination cable on the orders page might actually work for the BuildMyLED lights.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I think the manufacturer has them.
I sent them one RA and they have used it for their tests and I think they were going to make one cable
Roberto.
Squishie89

Post by Squishie89 »

cgravelle wrote:I have been looking at the BuildMyLED lights and was wondering of you got these running without any issues? Did you end up having to make your own cable or were you able to find the right one? For example, I was just wondering of the Aqua Illumination cable on the orders page might actually work for the BuildMyLED lights.
They did make me a cable (and they told me they would be making them for sale). However, I have a digital outlet box, so I borrowed an analog box, still could not get it to work, probably would need to change my coding to analog instead of digital or something like that. (To go a bit further on what would not work; the light would connect to the wire and to the box, but it was really dim, as if stuck at a low setting, I have no idea if this is a coding problem or a wire problem or what kind of problem). I gave up. I bought 2 of the manual dimming switches for when I need to dim the lights due to new corals that need acclimating. As of now, I don't need my lights to slowly dim with all of those cool settings you can do.
I don't think the apex cable will work because there is no slot on the RA boxes for a connector like that.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I was looking at these lights too and I think if you cut off the RJ-45 connector you can connect it to the screw down terminals of the RA dimming modules. I've tried contacting the guys at BuilidMyLed and did not get that great help.

I got one reply and that was after I called up and asked to speak to someone.
When they responded I wrote back with another question and never got a reply from them.
dedvalson

Post by dedvalson »

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add in here.

My 180 reef is entirely lit by the BuildMyLED 3 channel lights and I love them. They get splashed on all the time and it doesn't bother them. I have the 6 channel dimming module controlling 6 different lighting channels and it works great. And yes, you can just cut off a simple audio connector and wire it into the dimming module, that is what I did.

These are great lights.

There was a period of time during which it was hard to get support from them. But they are through that now and have always provided excellent support to me.

Don