New to RA, Question on Modifying Menus

New members questions
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

I am new to RA and have already been impressed by the support on this forum. I have recommended these units to my friends even before I hooked it up just based on the responses.

But now to my questions...

I have two ports, the skimmer and fuge light, that I'd like to be able to manually turn on/off from the controller. Is there a quick way to add that type of control?

Second,

If you hard code the on/off times for the lights using the Wizard (on Mac) the menu items for lights does not show the values in the code, but in the memory. I know it functions after hooking it up but is this normal?
rimai

Re: New to RA, Question on Modifying Menus

Post by rimai »

We can do the on/off for your skimmer and lights by using custom menus.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=311
If you have the wifi attachment, you can use any of the apps to accomplish this task and you won't need to do anything to your code. We have smart phone apps, Java Status app, Portal, web commands and on Windows we have the Client.
Yes, if you hard code the settings, they can only be changed by uploading your code again.
If you go with the internal memory settings, you can also change the settings using the android app, Java Status app, Portal, web commands and on Windows you can do it on the Client too, but you will also need the wifi attachment.
If you do not have the wifi attachment and still want to use internal memory, you can add this to the setup() section of your code:

Code: Select all

ReefAngel.AddStandardMenu();
This will put the complete version of the menu, but it uses up more memory too.
Roberto.
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

Roberto,

Thanks for the reply. I currently don't have the WiFi attachment (should have bought it!) and I have a Mac (no client software - WE NEED THIS!!!!!). Do you just use the simple menu with the remote apps?

I think I'll buy the WiFi when I return from vacation.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Most people just use the hard coded settings, just because it is the simplest way to go.
More advanced users go for internal memory and use the simple menu and change settings with wifi.
Yeah :( we are in need of some iOS and Mac love...
Roberto.
binder

Post by binder »

rimai wrote:Most people just use the hard coded settings, just because it is the simplest way to go.
More advanced users go for internal memory and use the simple menu and change settings with wifi.
yes we most certainly are. its slowly starting to pick up though.....slowly
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

binder wrote:
rimai wrote:Most people just use the hard coded settings, just because it is the simplest way to go.
What is the current client for windows written in (C/C++/Java)? Also, can the controller communicate via USB/Serial or is the only remote access via WiFi? I only ask because I might be able to create a quick controller in Java (with my software engineer wife's help!) but I currently only have the serial interface, no WiFi yet.
binder

Post by binder »

ufgators2k wrote:
binder wrote:
What is the current client for windows written in (C/C++/Java)? Also, can the controller communicate via USB/Serial or is the only remote access via WiFi? I only ask because I might be able to create a quick controller in Java (with my software engineer wife's help!) but I currently only have the serial interface, no WiFi yet.
its written in .net.

you can use serial port to communicate. thats how wifi works. ive started working on serial communication with my java status app but not completed because of the differences in all three platforms. feel free to look at my app for ways to communicate.
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

Where is the latest code source?
binder

Post by binder »

ufgators2k wrote:Where is the latest code source?
for the client suite, it does not exist in a public repository. dave has it stored on his computer and has not uploaded any to github.
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

Does the Java status app have the commands in it?
binder

Post by binder »

ufgators2k wrote:Does the Java status app have the commands in it?
Yes, it does have the basic commands in it. It does not have the Lights On/Off commands that were recently added though.
Take a look...
Java-Commands.png
Java-Commands.png (25.88 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
ufgators2k

Post by ufgators2k »

Curt - Is the source for the status app on your site?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Considering the link to the download is the github page :)

https://github.com/curtbinder/Status/
binder

Post by binder »

ufgators2k wrote:Curt - Is the source for the status app on your site?
yep, sure is. the project is an eclipse project.

Sent from my iPad mini