Do I need Static IP Address?

New members questions
kirkwood

Re: Do I need Static IP Address?

Post by kirkwood »

I followed the directions for the WiFi Utility Application.
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=345
My router automatically completed the port forwarding. I don't see anything mentioned about hard coding the RA IP address. How can I allow that to be dynamic?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Seems like it would already be dynamic since it changed with the power outage.
kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

cosmith71 wrote:Seems like it would already be dynamic since it changed with the power outage.
I have not confirmed yet that the external IP is dynamic. At this time I can only confirm that the local IP for the RA is dynamic becaues that changed. I will have to wait till this evening when I get home from work to address the problem.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Depending on your router you can use IP reservations that are based on MAC address. When the router sees the MAC address as active...it will only allow that specific device to be the IP you reserve. Pretty handy little trick for a lot of things if you have a large home network like me.
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

I would bet that the external IP is dynamic. Most residental ones are. The static ones are expensive!

--Colin
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

DrewPalmer04 wrote:Depending on your router you can use IP reservations that are based on MAC address. When the router sees the MAC address as active...it will only allow that specific device to be the IP you reserve. Pretty handy little trick for a lot of things if you have a large home network like me.
Yep, that's the way mine works, too.

--Colin
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Only way around ISP IP changes is to:

1: call and ask if static is available/cost

2: dyndns.com

DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Also it really just depends on how "important" remote access is...

For me. if the ISP IP changes. I lose connection remotely (because obviously the IP I'm using is wrong) so I go home later that night. Find my WAN IP and change it to be correct. No Biggy. BTW, this has only happened once in 2 years or so and that's because my ISP was bought out :)

kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

DrewPalmer04 wrote:Also it really just depends on how "important" remote access is...

For me. if the ISP IP changes. I lose connection remotely (because obviously the IP I'm using is wrong) so I go home later that night. Find my WAN IP and change it to be correct. No Biggy. BTW, this has only happened once in 2 years or so and that's because my ISP was bought out :)
I live in the City of Atlanta and for some reason I think our power grid sucks. We usually lose power during bad storms. Remote access is of critical importance to me so I want to make sure I retain remote access whenever I lose power.

I got myself a free account with no-ip so if the dynami external IP is an issue, it seems I can correct that for free. Is there any difference between a port reservation and a static IP?
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Static IP is from your ISP. A port reservation is like a static IP on your home network. I.e., the Reef Angel always gets 192.168.1.x.

--Colin
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Another way to think about it is:

A device says "this IS my IP address router" STATIC

Versus: "What is my IP address router?" DHCP

kirkwood

Post by kirkwood »

thanks to all for the assistance. I got the issue corrected. When I got home this evening I checked my external IP and it did NOT change. Next step I set an address reservation for the RA as .7 which is what I used during wifi setup. That still didn't correct the issue. So I checked the RA port and it was closed. I did the port fwding in my router setup and that corrected the issue. I guess the port closed during the power outage.