Explain to me like I am 5 on what the libraries do

New members questions
Rodasphoto

Post by Rodasphoto »

Explain to me like I am 5 on what the libraries do? Why is advantageous to update them?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The libraries are what give you all the reefangel commands and support all the refangel hardware.
binder

Post by binder »

with newer versions of the libraries, more functionality can be added as well as bugs or problems being fixed. it is not necessary to update them if nothing is broken. however, sometimes a feature that you may want can be included in an update which would require you to update your libraries.

sometimes library updates can break functionality. this usually does not happen. we try very hard to keep things backward compatible. if we cannot, then we make extra notes about how to fix what gets broken.

i still am running 1.0.2 on my controller running my tank. i haven't had a reason to update them yet.
rimai

Re: Explain to me like I am 5 on what the libraries do

Post by rimai »

I was still using v0.8.5 at the office up until today.
I think it's been 2 years I haven't changed anything on that controller.
Roberto.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

I see libraries as the back ground workers you never see...you code what you want to happen and those workers get the complex job done without you having to know what they are doing. You just reference them in the code and they take care of the rest.
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
Rodasphoto

Post by Rodasphoto »

Makes sense. As someone who is just beginning to learn to code I wish the more advance options like weather would be available via the Reef Angel wizard to simplify and expedite programming.
binder

Post by binder »

Rodasphoto wrote:Makes sense. As someone who is just beginning to learn to code I wish the more advance options like weather would be available via the Reef Angel wizard to simplify and expedite programming.
those extras are still being worked on and tested. things get a little complex with coding them properly. once things are more stable, im sure there could be a way to add it to the main libraries and thus into the wizard. i will say that some of that stuff requires updating code on the dimming module and some more advanced configurations. rest assured, we will be trying to simplify things.
Rodasphoto

Post by Rodasphoto »

I think you guys doing a great job. The amount of features that are being added and the short amount of time is nothing short of incredible.