No Temp Reading

New members questions
Atari

No Temp Reading

Post by Atari »

I have Never gotten a temp reading on my RA. I have tried the temp probe in all 3 ports on the top of the controller. I have gotten the same after installing "RA_Preloaded", and even tried "ControllerTest". I get reading from the PH probe just find but T1-3 all reed "Error". I am suspecting that my Temp probe is busted and this is not being caused by my inability to figure out how to setup my RA. How can I verify that it is a bad probe? and if it is a bad probe how can I try to fix it?
rimai

Re: No Temp Reading

Post by rimai »

Can you check the wires??
Do they look stripped?
Roberto.
Atari

Post by Atari »

I removed the contacts from the plastic housing and they looked l they are well connected (unlike the USB power cable that I already had to fix.) The condition of the cable is new and does not indicate any damage to me.

As for the rebooting, thanks you, but I have been rebooting it. I would unplug the power, plug in the probe and then plug the power back in. I did this for all 3 of the temp ports with no luck.
rimai

Post by rimai »

PM for RMA
Roberto.
Atari

Post by Atari »

Roberto,
I would have replied to your PM but I can not.
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."

I am not fully convinced that it is the probe. I am starting to see other non software related troubles with the head unit, it will not turn on when plugged in with the communication cable as it power source. It only works with the USB power cable, after I fixed the cable of course. Also, I am not prepared to spend $6 to ship a $9 item what will cost you <$1 to ship and that should have worked in the first place.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The RA does not get power from the communication cable. It needs the relay box or the USB power cable. The rma process doesn't work that way...another post if not already (5 is required) gives you permission.
Atari

Post by Atari »

Boy I feel dumb. I should not have assumed that you know I graduated the 3rd grade where I learned that power does not come from thin air.
To be very clear the HDDB15 communication cable is not only fully plugged into the what Reef Angel User Manual V2.1.5 labels as “Controller Head Unit Communication Connector” on Page 5, but the other end of said cable is also fully plugged into what the same document labels as “Relay Box Communication connector”. I did this in accordance to Steps 1 and 2 of “Getting Started” on Page 9 of the very same manual.
Realizing that that this “Relay Box” is not a power generator I then inserted a power cord full into the power inlet connector of the relay box. I did this all while fallowing “all steps and precautions and exercise caution when working with electronic devices near any source of water”. I took the other end of this power cord and plugged it into a wall outlet. I even went as paying the power bill this month.

Just encase you had not figured it out yet, I also graduated the 4th were I learned how to read things like manuals.

After I replaced the HDDB15 communication cable that came with my Reef Angle with another one I had around the house, now my head unit has power. So the count is up to 3 bad items.
1. USB Power cable
2. Temp Probe
3. HDDB15 Communication Cable

FYI: I never did learn how to spell well so please forgive any short comings in my orthography. :)

Would you please elaborate on what I am missing about the RMA process?

5th Post, I can now replay to PMs!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Yay. PM roberto, I'm sure you'll find the customer service here to be top notch.
hampmp

Post by hampmp »

Unplugging the data cable and replugging it in worked for me.