Newbie.... Ready to Jump in!

New members questions
goisles1

Newbie.... Ready to Jump in!

Post by goisles1 »

Hi Everyone..

I'll try to keep this short... I'm Rob.. I currently have a small 45gal reef tank with a 20gal sump in my living room. I'm running the Nova Extreme Pro 36inch T5 light that has seperate White and Actinic controls.

In the next few months, we will be renovating this space of our home. The Tank will be moved to my basement office where it will most likely stay. I will utilize the opportunity of the renovation to add a larger display tank to the living room. It will be a 4 foot tank (75/90 or 120). I'll most likely plumb all the tanks together with the sump in the basement.

For the future tank I will take my time buying all the components and when I have them all I will do the build.

Ok.. so on to the Reef Angel.. I'm a computer guy.. Actually a Cisco Network Engineer.. so I don't think I'll have any issues grasping the technology.

I think I know the answers to these questions But I'd like to be sure:

1 - Can I use the RA to control my current lights? I assume it's just programming the two light ports on the Relay and plug the lights into them?

2 - Ultimately, Can I use the RA to control both tanks (T5's on 45, LEDs on Livingromm tank, ATO in sump, etc)?

3 - If the RA is in the basement, how can I control the LED's upstairs? I know I need to extend cables.. but which side of the LED driver gets extended? In other words, are the drivers located in in the basement near the RA, or up in the display tank area?

I think I'm going to buy the RA in the next week or so .. work Bonus is due on Aug31st :)

thanks for your time!
rimai

Re: Newbie.... Ready to Jump in!

Post by rimai »

1. Yes... simply turning on/off the relay ports.
2. Yes.
3. I think either side would work, but I would place the drivers upstairs and extend the dimming signal side.
Roberto.
goisles1

Post by goisles1 »

Thanks Roberto,

For now.. All I'd need is the RA+ for my current setup which will:

Control my T5's
Monitor Temp / PH
control my ATO

Add WIFI attachment for Android access
goisles1

Post by goisles1 »

OK.. Hopefully last Question on this thread.. I'm ready to place my order.. If you read my first post.. I just need a simple RA+ and a wifi module for now as I only have 1 tank with T5 Lights..

Looking to the future though.. I 100% plan to add DIY LED lights to the future tank. So.. as I have nothing now, would you recommend I go with the Analog or PWM controller? As I will be going DIY (RapidLED), I can order any Dimmers I want.

Thanks,
Rob
rimai

Post by rimai »

It won't matter if you can pick your drivers.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The PWM is cheaper, however if you later change from DIY to a fixture that is controllable (most usually now called APEX ready..) it will most likely be Analog. Just something to keep in mind.
goisles1

Post by goisles1 »

Hi Again..

Just a comment to say..

I ORDERED IT!!

Look for me in a week or so to annoy you all with my questions!!!

Very excited!