chiller and ph probe issues

New members questions
Seagals

chiller and ph probe issues

Post by Seagals »

I disconnected my chiller this week for the winter and my ph probe readings dropped in half. I checked the tank with multimeter and read 0, stumped......I have heard of stray voltage and disconnecting a bad pump to correct issue but I never heard of bad readings from disconnecting a piece of equipment.

Has anyone experienced this?
Seagals

Re: chiller and ph probe issues

Post by Seagals »

I read last night that the ground in the chiller may be acting as a grounding rod and when its unplugged the stray voltage from else where may be acting up. But their are no signs with a multimeter so I went an systematically shut down every piece of equipment except the RA to verify the PH but no change - I will try to recalibrate the probe today and see if it changes. Any advice>?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

If you hook the chiller back up what happens? I would recalibrate and monitor from there. What kind of chiller is it? Is it one of those where the element goes in the sump? Or is there a feed pump?
Seagals

Post by Seagals »

Thanks Inevo, When I reconnect it ph reads 8.4 on RA and test kit. It is an inline chiller that has water pumped to it and than it returns to return piping. What is interesting though is when I shut all electronics off pumps and lighting last night the ph did not change.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Odd for sure, but does sound like it is acting as some kind of grounding rod... I would defintely try recalibrating and see what you get.

Also, before that I would check what the values are for your PHMin and PHMax memory settings right now...

You should be able to query it via the URLs
http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:2000/mi233
http://www.xxx.yyy.zzz:2000/mi235

Very curious to see what the current values are...