Newbe help with Custom Alerts

New members questions
bfeik

Newbe help with Custom Alerts

Post by bfeik »

Im new to the Reef Angel and new to this forum.

Im sorry if this question has been asked before. I just set up my RA wifi attachment and synched the iphone app and everything appears to be working well. Where do I set up alerts such as power failure, temp, ph etc. I thought this may be a function of the phone app but after doing a little research looks like it needs to be written in the code. Is this function available with the Arduino wizard?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
lnevo

Re: Newbe help with Custom Alerts

Post by lnevo »

The portal. Go to portal settings and in there you can add alerts. You only need code for advanced pieces and for now its also a patch to the libraries. Next version will have it built in..
bfeik

Post by bfeik »

Thanks for that info, I was unaware of the portal function. I set up a few notification triggers (which should generate an alert) in portal settings, however I havnt got an email yet. Did I miss a step?
bfeik

Post by bfeik »

Disregard my previous post. Took an hour or so for the notifications to take place but they are working correctly now.

Thanks again for your time and advice!
bfeik

Post by bfeik »

One more question regarding portal notifications. Is there a legend somewhere with an explanation of the abbreviations? Some are self explanatory, most specifically Im looking for one to notify me of a power failure..
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Power failure is not somethign that is built in. You will need to find a way to monitor this. There are few methods. They will almost all require additional hardware. You have the following options.

1) Use a free float switch port
2) Use the IO module
3) Use the relay expansion

With options 1+2 you will need a wall wart wired to a relay. The wall wart will be plugged into non-ups power. When you lose power the relay will open and with the IO module or free ATO switch port, you will see the status change and you can create a way to notify. The easiest way would be to update a value in the ReefAngel.CustomVar array to indicate a power outage. Then you would setup a portal notificaiton on C0 - C7 (whichever variable you use)

If you have the relay expansion, we can just monitor that for power loss. You'd still have to update the variable and base your alert on that.

Let me know which way we can go with your build and we can help you get the necessary code together.
bfeik

Post by bfeik »

How about a float switch high in the sump. Only reason the water level would ever be that high would be power failure (or water change)? I dont turn off return pump during feeding.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That works :)
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

So you would not have your return plugged into the reefangel at all then for that to work
bfeik

Post by bfeik »

lnevo wrote:So you would not have your return plugged into the reefangel at all then for that to work
No I do. Your right, that wouldnt work. By the time the water level rises there would be no power for communication through the network. I think Ill skip that notification.

Thank for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it!