Connecting to wifi questions

New members questions
lnevo

Re: Connecting to wifi questions

Post by lnevo »

The linksys ip should ONLY work hwen in the home profile and when on the wifi at home.

The verizon WAN address should be in the away profile and should work when on Cellular.

For now I would say your RA is blocked by your office....
rimai

Post by rimai »

yeap. looks like your work is blocking traffic then.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ok, I get the office situation.

But the app still doesn't connect in away profile even though the away host is my wan (while the home host is my linksys). it only connects when my home host is my wan and in home profile (doesn't matter the away host for this scenario). that's the strange thing.
Jack
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you sure you are changing the profile?
You must click the home and choose away in the drop down menu. It's on the top left corner right beside the blue logo.
Roberto.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Yup. I'm sure. Just tried it again. Went into away profile and made sure my wan ip is correct and it gave error 15.

but back to home profile w/ my wan ip and it works..very weird.

edit..all over cellular.
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

So...

now at home with wifi, when I change my home port to the linksys ip and use home profile, it works. BUT...it also works if my home port is the fios wan, using the home profile. So both work. What we also know now is that if i am using cellular, i can only use the fios wan but it HAS to be as the home port.

very strange. ultimately, it's not a huge deal as i have access whichever way. something is just funky.....

thanks everyone for your help.
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

spoke too soon...i logged in via the portal and it looks like i have a new ip address (wan). the last 2 digits are slightly different. this only happened after i logged into the portal. is this RA portal doing something or is this verizon changing the ip?

i then changed the apps ip to the new one and works like before....thoughts?
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The portal updates the ip when it changes on you. Maybe in resetting the router at some point it received a new ip address. The wan ip works for me also when I'm on my wifi. Some do some don't your lucky. For changing ip addresses most of us and even apex users setup dynamic dns with someone like dyndns.com or no-ip.org
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ah..I have seen people talk about that. no-ip.org has a free option. Obviously, free is good. Will that due for my purposes? Will the fact that the hostname expiring every 30days be an issue? Thanks.
Jack
lnevo

Connecting to wifi questions

Post by lnevo »

Not sure how no-ip does it. But with dyndns you had to log in once a month to refresh your ip to keep it active. I ended up paying :)

Once you get that resolved also take a look at www.reeftronics.net :)
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Thanks, Lee.

Any opinions that you've heard of between dyndns vs no-ip? no-ip os 19.95/yr vs $25/year for dyndns (assuming it's the remote access option, am i correct w/ that?). that's a good percentage difference, plus I am cheap...haha.
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

found this:

http://freedns.afraid.org/

might give it a shot. I found an old post by binder talking about it.
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I have no real opinion. I never tried no-ip. I've been using dyndns for >10 years with no issues.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ok, decided to try freedns.afraid.org. Setup was super simple and my android app connects w/ the new domain on both home and away profiles. Thanks Lee and Roberto for your help. Now on to other issues....:)
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

One issue at a time...just don't think it ever ends :) its as much an addiction as the coral lol
binder

Post by binder »

howaboutme wrote:Thanks, Lee.

Any opinions that you've heard of between dyndns vs no-ip? no-ip os 19.95/yr vs $25/year for dyndns (assuming it's the remote access option, am i correct w/ that?). that's a good percentage difference, plus I am cheap...haha.
i'm using no-ip currently because of dyndns changing their services and moving towards a pay service. the no-ip service requires you to login once a month to "update" your hosts or else they will remove your hosts.
like you, i am "cheap" when it comes to this. i pay for other domains and hostings and dns and i don't want to pay for "one more thing".

the only drawback that i noticed with the freedns.afraid.org is that they do a community usage of domain names. it's not a bad idea if you don't mind that others could potentially use your domain name. i know you can configure things to make it harder to do that or to restrict others from doing that. overall though, it did look like a decent service (and free). :)

keep us posted on how it works out for you or if you encounter any problems. i doubt that you would but just mentioning it anyways.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Hey Curt! Thanks for responding. First, thanks for a great app!

I went w/ afraid.org because (besides free) I like the community like organization. It reminds me of open source projects like this, b2evo, gallery2, etc that I have played with. I don't really mind sharing the domain. I do own a bunch of domains and can add it to afraid if I am a paid member to keep it private. I will try to see how this goes and hope that the domain name owner doesn't do anything crazy. After only a day, it works fine. Only time will tell.

What every happened to this thread?
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3503

Were you trying to see if there was support in adding either domain into afraig.org for us to use?
Jack
binder

Post by binder »

howaboutme wrote:Hey Curt! Thanks for responding. First, thanks for a great app!

I went w/ afraid.org because (besides free) I like the community like organization. It reminds me of open source projects like this, b2evo, gallery2, etc that I have played with. I don't really mind sharing the domain. I do own a bunch of domains and can add it to afraid if I am a paid member to keep it private. I will try to see how this goes and hope that the domain name owner doesn't do anything crazy. After only a day, it works fine. Only time will tell.

What every happened to this thread?
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3503

Were you trying to see if there was support in adding either domain into afraig.org for us to use?
i was just trying to come up with ideas for custom urls through ra. nothing ever came of it because of a lack of real expressed interest and other things.

Sent from my Nexus 7