Connecting to wifi questions

New members questions
howaboutme

Re: Connecting to wifi questions

Post by howaboutme »

Thanks, Lee.

Any opinions that you've heard of between dyndns vs no-ip? no-ip os 19.95/yr vs $25/year for dyndns (assuming it's the remote access option, am i correct w/ that?). that's a good percentage difference, plus I am cheap...haha.
Jack
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

found this:

http://freedns.afraid.org/

might give it a shot. I found an old post by binder talking about it.
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I have no real opinion. I never tried no-ip. I've been using dyndns for >10 years with no issues.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Ok, decided to try freedns.afraid.org. Setup was super simple and my android app connects w/ the new domain on both home and away profiles. Thanks Lee and Roberto for your help. Now on to other issues....:)
Jack
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

One issue at a time...just don't think it ever ends :) its as much an addiction as the coral lol
binder

Post by binder »

howaboutme wrote:Thanks, Lee.

Any opinions that you've heard of between dyndns vs no-ip? no-ip os 19.95/yr vs $25/year for dyndns (assuming it's the remote access option, am i correct w/ that?). that's a good percentage difference, plus I am cheap...haha.
i'm using no-ip currently because of dyndns changing their services and moving towards a pay service. the no-ip service requires you to login once a month to "update" your hosts or else they will remove your hosts.
like you, i am "cheap" when it comes to this. i pay for other domains and hostings and dns and i don't want to pay for "one more thing".

the only drawback that i noticed with the freedns.afraid.org is that they do a community usage of domain names. it's not a bad idea if you don't mind that others could potentially use your domain name. i know you can configure things to make it harder to do that or to restrict others from doing that. overall though, it did look like a decent service (and free). :)

keep us posted on how it works out for you or if you encounter any problems. i doubt that you would but just mentioning it anyways.
howaboutme

Post by howaboutme »

Hey Curt! Thanks for responding. First, thanks for a great app!

I went w/ afraid.org because (besides free) I like the community like organization. It reminds me of open source projects like this, b2evo, gallery2, etc that I have played with. I don't really mind sharing the domain. I do own a bunch of domains and can add it to afraid if I am a paid member to keep it private. I will try to see how this goes and hope that the domain name owner doesn't do anything crazy. After only a day, it works fine. Only time will tell.

What every happened to this thread?
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3503

Were you trying to see if there was support in adding either domain into afraig.org for us to use?
Jack
binder

Post by binder »

howaboutme wrote:Hey Curt! Thanks for responding. First, thanks for a great app!

I went w/ afraid.org because (besides free) I like the community like organization. It reminds me of open source projects like this, b2evo, gallery2, etc that I have played with. I don't really mind sharing the domain. I do own a bunch of domains and can add it to afraid if I am a paid member to keep it private. I will try to see how this goes and hope that the domain name owner doesn't do anything crazy. After only a day, it works fine. Only time will tell.

What every happened to this thread?
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3503

Were you trying to see if there was support in adding either domain into afraig.org for us to use?
i was just trying to come up with ideas for custom urls through ra. nothing ever came of it because of a lack of real expressed interest and other things.

Sent from my Nexus 7