Two Controllers on the same WIFI network

New members questions
bfeik

Two Controllers on the same WIFI network

Post by bfeik »

I have two tanks, each has a Reef Angel Controller. I have one controller online using the WIFI attachment and Id like to do the same with the second.

Can this be done using the same WIFI network at my home? I believe both will have the same IP address for portal, iphone app, etc? I use a time capsule and have forwarded port 2000 for my current controller, would I use a different port for the second? Am I able to forward a second port?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any advice!!
Elevatorguy1

Re: Two Controllers on the same WIFI network

Post by Elevatorguy1 »

just purchased my second RA and am wondering the same thing. How do I set up the second WIFI module?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You will need to manually change the port on the wifi module. We typically use 2010 but you can use whatever you look. Once that's done you'll need a second port forwarding. Otherwise no issues to use more than one RA at home.
89delta

Post by 89delta »

As far as i've noticed your router will give each RA WiFi Module it's own IP address via the DCHP Server. As having two peripherals with the same IP address will cause a conflict in communication. As Lee stated the port forwarding will be the only thing that would be needed to be changed between the two. Down side to letting the router give the IP address is that the router leases each address for a certain period of time and then giving it another one after that period has expired. So be sure to log into your router and edit the IP address for them to Static from DCHP.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Actually yes, you won't need to change the port on the wifi module. Since each controller has a separate IP address, only the port forwarding will need to use a different port...

You can setup the forward from port 2010 on the outside to port 2000 on the 2nd RA inside.
binder

Post by binder »

I personally still utilize DHCP for multiple devices on the network BUT what I do is assign a static lease. I have my dhcp server automatically assign the same IP to the device based on MAC address. I personally have found this simpler and easier than hard coding the wifi module to the network. I can easily change things from the dhcp server instead of the wifi module. The only thing I have to make certain is that the wifi module is programmed properly to connect to the wifi network.

In the end, it's all personal preference as both ways get the job done.
Elevatorguy1

Post by Elevatorguy1 »

Ok. So one RA is set to port 2000 and I have that set up on my ASUS router to forward outside to port 2000. With the second RA I can go through the regular set up in the manual for the wifi and it will set itself to port 2010 and forward the outside address to port 2010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rimai

Post by rimai »

The way I have setup is the same way that lnevo explained.
Both my wifi attachments are setup using port 2000.
Something like this:
RA1 - 192.168.1.20:2000
RA2 - 192.168.1.21:2000
Then, on my router, I have port 2000 forwarded to RA1 and port 2001 forwarded to RA2.
So, when I want to connect to RA1, I use 67.156.xxx.xxx:2000 and when I want to connect to RA2, I use 67.156.xxx.xxx:2001.
67.156.xxx.xxx is my WAN ip address that my internet provider gives me.
Roberto.
Elevatorguy1

Post by Elevatorguy1 »

Ok. Thank you! Think I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk