Questions from a Noob

New members questions
Marine007

Questions from a Noob

Post by Marine007 »

I set up my Reef Angel yesterday (partially), but I have a number of questions that I would like to ask. Most probably quite dumb.

1. I assume the wifi module cannot be used to program the ReefAngel? It just allows for 2 way communication regarding settings and controls. This correct? :?:
2. I can access my Reef Angel on my home network. Do I need to enable portforwarding on port 2000 to allow access via general internet? How do I connect via internet? What address? :?:
3. Do I need an Expansion Hub to use both my salinity and water level expansion modules? I cant find a way to connect both. :?:
4. Any practical tips on calibrating the water level sensor and PH sensor? :?:
5. Who was the sick bastard that made all the cables so short? Almost have to throw the electronics in the sump to get the probes etc to reach the water. :twisted:
cosmith71

Re: Questions from a Noob

Post by cosmith71 »

Marine007 wrote:I set up my Reef Angel yesterday (partially), but I have a number of questions that I would like to ask. Most probably quite dumb.

1. I assume the wifi module cannot be used to program the ReefAngel? It just allows for 2 way communication regarding settings and controls. This correct? :?:
Correct. There is a Bluetooth module available for wireless programming.
2. I can access my Reef Angel on my home network. Do I need to enable portforwarding on port 2000 to allow access via general internet? How do I connect via internet? What address? :?:
You will use your external IP address assigned by your ISP. I.e., one not starting with 192. If you go into your router setup you should be able to find it. Add :2000 to the end for the port. I advise getting an account with no-ip if your IP address from your ISP is not static (few are).
3. Do I need an Expansion Hub to use both my salinity and water level expansion modules? I cant find a way to connect both. :?:
Yes.
4. Any practical tips on calibrating the water level sensor and PH sensor? :?:
On the pH sensor, let the value settle for several minutes on the 7 and 10 levels before you click OK. Also, make sure you're really on OK and not on Cancel during the calibration routine. I think it defaults to Cancel. I don't use the water level sensor.
5. Who was the sick bastard that made all the cables so short? Almost have to throw the electronics in the sump to get the probes etc to reach the water. :twisted:
That would be Roberto. :ugeek:

Hope this helps,

--Colin
Marine007

Post by Marine007 »

Thanks Colin! Your reply helped out a lot.

So - I got my expansion hub and a few probe extension cables and Reef Angel is up and running (not doing much except giving stats at the moment).

I still need to work on the calibration, but have an idea what to do. Will make some time with a more experienced reefer and see if we can sort it out.

On the network - I created a free account at no-ip dot com. Not quite sure what to do. I also own a few domain - any chance I can just point to my own domain to access the ReefAngel from the internet?
Will the free service at noip suffice?

A few questions if anyone is willing to save me time searching:
1) Date and time on my ReefAngel is not correct. The Wizard did not give me an option to set it. How do I set it?
2) Is there a trick or way to reprogram your ReefAngel without having to unplug the wifi module and insert the programming cable? I'll look into the Bluetooth module, but is there another way? I want to mount my Reef Angel in a place where it will not be convenient to have to keep unplugging cables and replugging them later.

Thanks!
heatdissipation

Post by heatdissipation »

The Bluetooth module is the only way to upload code without using the programming cable.

To set the date and time just push the joystick in and the menu appears on your display. There is an option to set date and time there
rimai

Post by rimai »

If you have a static ip from your internet provider, you can use your own domain :)
That's what I do, but I pay extra to have the static ip.
The easiest way to change the time is using the android app or portal.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You dont need a static IP if you own your own domain :)

What i do is make a CNAME record under my domain and point it to the dynamic dns name. When you resolve the domain name it recurses to the dynamic address and returns your non static IP. I'm not sure if that will work with noip but it does with dyndns.

Been doing it this way for years :)
binder

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:You dont need a static IP if you own your own domain :)

What i do is make a CNAME record under my domain and point it to the dynamic dns name. When you resolve the domain name it recurses to the dynamic address and returns your non static IP. I'm not sure if that will work with noip but it does with dyndns.

Been doing it this way for years :)
+1
i do the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You're welcome!
I still need to work on the calibration, but have an idea what to do. Will make some time with a more experienced reefer and see if we can sort it out.
Here's how to do it.

Navigate to Setup -> Calibrate pH on the Reef Angel.

Put the probe in some fresh 7 pH calibration solution and let it sit until the reading stabilizes (mine is around 357).

Push the stick to the side so that OK is dark blue and Cancel is light and push the stick in.

Do the same for the pH 10 reading using fresh pH 10 calibration solution. Again, CANCEL is selected by default so be sure to bump the stick over to OK or it won't take. My 10 calibration is around 575.

That's it!

--Colin
Marine007

Post by Marine007 »

Thanks - you guys are awesome. Figured out I need another probe extension cable for where I need to install my Reef Angel. So will order one and install.

I've got a friend thats good with websites, etc - will ask his advice on the CNAME settings etc.

Thanks guys.

Can I calibrate the salinity also via the controller joystick?

Regards
Theo
binder

Post by binder »

Marine007 wrote:
Can I calibrate the salinity also via the controller joystick?

Regards
Theo
Yep, you can. Instead of choosing Calibrate pH, you just choose Calibrate Salinity.
It will only show up if you have the salinity module enabled in your code.