Hello, need recommendation

New members questions
electrotech

Post by electrotech »

I'm looking to purchase a controller for my 120 gallon 4 x 2 x 2 mixed reef build. Mostly LPS, softie, with a few SPS. Lighting will be 2 Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue Lights I want some moonlights also don't know which to get. Jebao wp40 power head, I have a 50 gallon refugium with 2 PAR30 LED lights, 40 gallon sump, 2 Eheim Jager TruTemp 250 Watt heaters, ASM g3 skimmer sedra 5000 pump, media reactor with GFO, Jebao DC6000 return pump. Float switches for ATO.

Want the controller to do everything, don't need wifi to controller I can hard wire it but i would like to be able to control from iphone, do I need wifi module?

Will the Reef Angel do all this and which expansion modules do I need?

Thanks for the help.
lnevo

Re: Hello, need recommendation

Post by lnevo »

The RA will do everything you need for sure. Sounds like you need the main unit, a dimming expansion and the wifi module. I know you said you don't need it but all the functionality is based on having network access. There are ways to use an arduino ethernet module but there are only a handful of people doing that (if that many...) if you want to control from the iphone, the wifi is the best way.

If you'll need more than 8 relays you'll need the expansion hub and and a relay expansion module. You can keep using float switches but I also recommend looking at the water level sensors. They are great for ATO and other water level monitoring (like ATO reservoir, sump level, etc.
electrotech

Post by electrotech »

So it looks like I would need Main unit, expansion hub, water level module, dimming module, dimmable moonlights, and the wifi module.

That's a lot, I thought the reef angel was going to be less expensive, but I can get the same out of the Apex for less money. What's the benefit of the Reef Angel over the Apex system?
rimai

Post by rimai »

You are not even comparing apples to apples... APEX doesn't even have a water level module. Reef Angel is the only controller that offers that and I doubt the APEX comes with moonlights and 8 dimming channels.
So, what you really need to compare is the RA + wifi attachment and compare it to APEX. Does it come out less expensive now?
At this level, all controllers are basically the same. They are all going to turn on/off ports, measure pH, temperature and control your ATO. They are all going to offer you some sort of remote connectivity with phones/tablets.
It is what you can do with it beyond the base system is what is going to make the difference. There are some modules that RA offers that you can't find in any other controller and vice versa.
Roberto.
electrotech

Post by electrotech »

rimai wrote:You are not even comparing apples to apples... APEX doesn't even have a water level module. Reef Angel is the only controller that offers that and I doubt the APEX comes with moonlights and 8 dimming channels.
So, what you really need to compare is the RA + wifi attachment and compare it to APEX. Does it come out less expensive now?
At this level, all controllers are basically the same. They are all going to turn on/off ports, measure pH, temperature and control your ATO. They are all going to offer you some sort of remote connectivity with phones/tablets.
It is what you can do with it beyond the base system is what is going to make the difference. There are some modules that RA offers that you can't find in any other controller and vice versa.
Don't mean to step on RA toes here, just comparing what I need from RA and Apex. If you exclude the water level monitor the RA is equal in price to the Apex.

For what I need the standard Apex system covers everything except moonlights, add the LSM module and it rings in at $575

The RA system and all the expansions I would need minus the water level module comes out to $576.

Yes each system has it's pro and cons. Call me vain but the Apex looks a lot better, modern not like a 80's TV remote. I like the water level sensor but float switches will do just fine, I ran my old 125 ATO on float switches and a relay for years without a controller and never had a problem with them. The web interface for the apex looks awesome lots of bells and whistles there. I realize the programming with the RA can be more complex and is more customizable, but I don't really need that I would prefer more simple programming. I work in a high tech industry and know first hand the complexity and problems that come from elaborate programming.

I appreciate the info and I haven't made a decision yet, but seeing how many expansions I would need for the RA and the looks/web interface kinda swing me back towards the Apex.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

You dont need the expansion hub either until you go past one module with the wifi not counting. I would check again the pricing it sounds like something is off.

The RA isnt for everyone. If you want bells and whistles and out of the box, the go for the Apex. If you value open source, the flexibility to do whatever you can dream of, and the most innovative hardware to offer then the RA is the way to go. Good luck deciding and hope you get what works for you. If you decide on the RA (and we do float switches out of the box, with apex you'll need an IO module too...) we'll be here to get you up and running!
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

One RA plus dimming plus wifi comes to $489
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'm getting $709 for a standard grade apex, the PM1 for I/O and a VDM for dimming.. $625 if you drop the PM1 and do your float switches independent of the Apex. Thats priced at Marine Depot.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The stock apex has no dimming capability for your jaebo or your lights. And also the Apex cant do the wave patterns on the jaebo if you want them controlled. They will be at whatever constant speed you want
electrotech

Post by electrotech »

lnevo wrote:I'm getting $709 for a standard grade apex, the PM1 for I/O and a VDM for dimming.. $625 if you drop the PM1 and do your float switches independent of the Apex. Thats priced at Marine Depot.
Base Apex I though had some of those capabilities from their website

"The Apex Base Unit is equipped with the following monitoring ports:

Temperature Port
pH Port
pH/ORP Port (can be used for either – a feature unique to the Apex)
6 – I/O switch inputs (for use with leak detectors, door switches, feed buttons, ATO, etc.)"

^^ No need for PM1 and it will do the ATO

"The Apex Base Unit comes standard with four channels of 0-10V control. These outputs are controlled in the Apex software and are most commonly used for LED dimming or Tunze speed control pumps. By using one of our optionally available cables, you can connect any Apex Ready 0-10V device to these ports. This means you can do cool things like have your LED lights ramp up and down to simulate sunrise and sunset!"

^^Says it controls the LEDs without the VDM

"Should you need additional channels of 0-10V control, no problem, simply purchase our VDM module and get four more"

As far as the Jebao's you can make a harness to connect them to the Apex and make wave patterns.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I stand corrected... not an apex user :)
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

And RA is still $489 vs $525. And the RA comes with 4 dimming ports as well (2 analog/pwm 0-5 or p-10v amd 2 are 0-5V which can control your jaebo powerheads) so that would drop the need for the dimming module and you could double up the kessils so you'd control both fixtures with the two remaining ports. So all you'd need now is the ra plus the wifi module. Price is now $378.
electrotech

Post by electrotech »

lnevo wrote:And RA is still $489 vs $525. And the RA comes with 4 dimming ports as well (2 analog/pwm 0-5 or p-10v amd 2 are 0-5V which can control your jaebo powerheads) so that would drop the need for the dimming module and you could double up the kessils so you'd control both fixtures with the two remaining ports. So all you'd need now is the ra plus the wifi module. Price is now $378.
Sounding better :D
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

The only caveat there is then you would have no inputs for your float switch. So you could either add the dimming, the single, or the multi level water sensor at a cost of $109, $69, and $159 respectively and you still wouldn't need the expansion hub yet.