Looking to buy a Reef Angel system

New members questions
Mako56

Looking to buy a Reef Angel system

Post by Mako56 »

Hi folks, I have been using an aqua controller 111 for a long time the other day the Dc8 unit quit working now I tried to find a replacement and learned that these are now obsolete there are a few left but spending money to replace something that is obsolete doesn't make any sense to me I really like this unit but if a company just let's one of there products go obsolete I don't think I can trust them. I really hope this is not true of this company. I have some questions I am looking to buy the Reef Angel plus but am wondering what the upgrade board is all about is it just to upgrade an older model? I also would like to know about the analog or the PWM right now I have nothing to control with that but that might change if I switch to led lighting so which would be the best to get for me. Thanks for any help Mike.
180 gallon, 260# live rock, 180# live sand, 75 gallon sump(half full), ASM G-4 skimmer, Korallin C1502 reactor, Sequence Barracuda closed loop, OM 8-way, Quietone return, three Ushio 250 watt de MH's and two 110 watt VHO's actinics.
Sacohen

Re: Looking to buy a Reef Angel system

Post by Sacohen »

The upgrade board is for people who purchased the older Reef Angel and now want the expanded capabilities of the Reef Angel Plus.

The Standard Reef Angel is not being sold any more, so if you buy it now you will get the Reef Angel Plus.

As far as Analog or PWM it is dependent upon what LED lights you get.

There are 2 things to consider when looking at lights.

1st is it controllable by a third party controller light the Reef Angel. A lot of the lighting manufacturers have been incorporating the dimming features into the lights themselves and you can't control them by a third party controller without doing some kind of hack to them (if that's even possible).

2nd if the manufacturer makes the lights as Analog or PWM.

I maybe wrong, but I think PWM is safer to go with.
If you happen to choose the wrong version Roberto will mostly likely swap them out for you (there may or may not be a small charge I can't speak for him on that).
The other option is to get the dimming expansion module (when it comes time for the lights) and there are jumpers inside so you can choose analog or PWM and even 0-5v or 0-10v.

I use the dimming ports on the relay for my Jebao pumps, which can use analog or PWM, and then use the dimming module for my lighting, since I have 4 channels of lights I want to control.
Mako56

Post by Mako56 »

Thanks Sacohen.
180 gallon, 260# live rock, 180# live sand, 75 gallon sump(half full), ASM G-4 skimmer, Korallin C1502 reactor, Sequence Barracuda closed loop, OM 8-way, Quietone return, three Ushio 250 watt de MH's and two 110 watt VHO's actinics.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

No problem.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I believe the head unit relay box also has jumpers to change the dimming. I'm not sure this is advertised or not since it doesn't apply to all units. Roberto could confirm.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I've never heard that, although it maybe true.
I always wondered why Roberto didn't make the same revision to the Relay unit that he did to the dimming module.
Mako56

Post by Mako56 »

Not sure what's up I am guessing you need to have a number of posts before you are able to answer a private message is that right?
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

Yes I believe it's 5 posts.
Mako56

Post by Mako56 »

Boy with all the support from you Sacohen how can I go wrong with this.
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I'm not good at coding yet, so I try to help out where I can.
binder

Post by binder »

theres lots of help from others too....just depends on what topic is being discussed and if anyone else is helping. :-)

Sent from my iPad mini
Sacohen

Post by Sacohen »

I have to say that Binder and lenvo are my biggest helpers (along with Roberto).
AlanM has started popping inhere a lot lately or I never noticed him before and cosmith71 has come out of his lurking stage and popped up in the forums again.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

My unit, which I believe is the latest revision, has jumpers for PWM and Analog (although the markings on the board are reversed).

Changing from 10v to 5v signal requires a little soldering.

--Colin