trouble getting started

New members questions
JimJim

trouble getting started

Post by JimJim »

Hi

I just bought a RA with pwm from a friend and I am in the process of trying to get going with it, but I'm hitting some trouble.

When I got it, the previous owner had installed code so when I turned it on it had the status screen showing some of the plug (relays) numbers on the flashing red, and the actual relay (plug box) was clicking intermittently.

So I installed the software via the website and then, through the Arduino sketch programme I changed the COM port and board, then opted to install internal memory and upload the 'RA-preloaded' code.

Now, the RA screen just states 'no internal memory found'...

And, when I try to run the Reef Angel Generator from the 'Reef Angel Controller' programme, it shows an error: "problem with shortcut The item 'RAGen.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly..."

I have tried uninstalling the programme, then reinstalling using the same 'installer' saved on my desktop, but after 3 attempts, I continue to get the same issue...

Is this something simple to fix? Can somebody please point me in the right direction?! ;)

Thanks.
cosmith71

Re: trouble getting started

Post by cosmith71 »

Do you know if it's an RA or an RA+?

RAGen isn't used anymore. We use the Reef Angel Wizard now. It's under the Tools menu. I didn't realize there were still references to it.

Try the Wizard.

--Colin
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Hi there,

It's the RA, not plus...
Aha, great, I'll try that! Thanks.
binder

Post by binder »

cosmith71 wrote:Do you know if it's an RA or an RA+?

RAGen isn't used anymore. We use the Reef Angel Wizard now. It's under the Tools menu. I didn't realize there were still references to it.

Try the Wizard.

--Colin
it was probably an older version of the software that was upgraded. i think if that happens the shortcuts dont always get deleted.

Sent from my iPad mini
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Thanks for the guidance.

I'm now using the Wizard, which is great!

Only problem is that no matter what code I try to upload, I can't get past the message "no internal memory found' on the RA screen. I tried to upload the 'InitialInternalMemory' example code provided in the arduino program, but that does nothing either - the RA screen blinks and the LEDs flash showing it receiving the messages via the USB, but then the status light is still red and the message 'no internal memory found' is shown.

I have set the port correctly as well as the 'serial board' under TOOLS in the arduino program.

Now I'm really stuck!
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

JimJim wrote:Thanks for the guidance.

I'm now using the Wizard, which is great!

Only problem is that no matter what code I try to upload, I can't get past the message "no internal memory found' on the RA screen. I tried to upload the 'InitialInternalMemory' example code provided in the arduino program, but that does nothing either - the RA screen blinks and the LEDs flash showing it receiving the messages via the USB, but then the status light is still red and the message 'no internal memory found' is shown.

I have set the port correctly as well as the 'serial board' under TOOLS in the arduino program.

Now I'm really stuck!
I actually just did a search on the forum (which I should have done before sending the last message!) and found a solution which worked... it was on a similar thread regarding the same issue. I used that alternative code for Internal Memory and it worked like a charm!
binder

Post by binder »

What you must do first is actually upload the internal memory that is generated by the wizard. Once the internal memory is uploaded, the controller will display something like "Internal Memory set/loaded. Now load your INO" (or something along those lines). Then, you can load the code generated by the wizard. In fact, the wizard should give you the option to load the memory to the controller while you are going through the steps. If it does not, you should check and make sure you have the latest version of the wizard (I do not know what the latest is off-hand, but you could easily download the new version and install it).