How do I set up PWM on my LEDs?

New members questions
benisona

How do I set up PWM on my LEDs?

Post by benisona »

Noob here,
I just got my controller in the mail a few days ago and am trying to get my 33g cube build going. I have a nice 120w LED light that seems to have 3 drivers inside (1 for the white, and 2 for the actinic) and multiple cooling fans (I'm pretty sure it was a bulk ordered light by my local marine society, that was made in china). I would love to modify this setup to be dim-able and controlled by the RA PWM. As of right now there is only only power cord coming out of the unit, but there are two separate green switches to either turn on the actinic or the white LEDs. What I'm supposing I need to do is disconnect the output wires from each switch and then run those wires down to the reef angle, one (+,and -) for the actinic relay and the other to the daylight relay. I'm guessing that the PMW outputs from the side of the relay box would then supply the AC power to the drivers, and I would only need the main power cord to be plugged in to supply power to the fans. Let me know if this is correct, I also need to know what type of connector to get to wire them into the PMW ports on the side of the relay box (might be similar to the ATO inputs, if so can I get them at radio shack or something?).

If there is a tutorial on how to do this I would love to see it, but I have scoured the forum to no avail.
rimai

Re: How do I set up PWM on my LEDs?

Post by rimai »

It doesn't work like that.
The PWM output port can't drive LEDs. It can only provide dimming signal to LED drivers.
Roberto.
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

If you are ok with DIY you could look at replacing the three drivers with Mean Well units. Have a look at this link. http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-26/ ... ble/Detail.

Providing you can fit them into the LED unit, or you could have them mounted remote and run feeds to the unit, You would then use the PWM outputs from the RA to control the ramping up and down of the drivers.

If you go that route it is best to use the 48P model as it has been designed to work with PWM. The 48D will work but is for a digital signal and ( so I have heard ) does not have the full dimming range when feed PWM.
benisona

Post by benisona »

so I take it that the mean well drivers have a separate input that would connect to the pwm ports on the relay? If so then I really couldn't make this light dimmable unless I replaced the drivers as Sebyte suggested. Correct?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Correct.
But you could choose any other driver that accepts PWN signal too. It doesn't need to be meanwells.
Roberto.
benisona

Post by benisona »

I have been looking at other lights quite a bit as this one just came with the tank I bought, and now it seems that I would have to do more modding than the outdated LEDs are worth to get dimming. I really like the aqua illumination lights, and noticed that you even sell a connector to interface them with the RA. They are just a bit out of my price range at this point though and I think that is probably due to the fact that they also have a bunch of nice user interface options included (touch screen ect). I found this LED setup (link at bottom) and the specs say that a 1-10v input for dimming is an option. Have you ever seen these and if so do you think they would be an easy interface with the RA. Also, if this doesn't look great, what barebones led setups have people used successfully with the RA aside from a complete DIY?

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Product ... ianco.aspx

pricing:

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supp ... ILLW2.html
rimai

Post by rimai »

Looks like that one should work.
Roberto.