Wifi Attachment has randomly stopped working

New members questions
tom_swell

Wifi Attachment has randomly stopped working

Post by tom_swell »

Hi Guys,

So i had my reef angel set up and running fine for a couple of months an then unexpectedly with no changes made to any settings the wifi attachment seems to have stopped sending data. There's no blue lights linking but whenever i check the portal it says last data was received on the 23rd of November. I've tried reconnecting the wifi attachment by plugging it into the computer and resetting it but that hasn't done anything to help either. I know it's not the router it's connected to that is the problem as i've got other devices in the same room connected to it and they work flawlessly.

Beginning to get quite upset with all these wifi issues. I just can't understand why it works one day and the next day it doesn't :\
rimai

Re: Wifi Attachment has randomly stopped working

Post by rimai »

Looks like it is working again. What changed?
Roberto.
tom_swell

Post by tom_swell »

I reset it again and that seems to have worked however it is still saying unreachable address so i'm still unable to change what is on through the portal. All i can do is see basic tank stats but i really need to be able to toggle the relay box.
rimai

Post by rimai »

That's port forwarding on your router. Have you setup port forwarding?
Maybe your router assigned a new ip address to your wifi attachment.
Roberto.
tom_swell

Post by tom_swell »

Hi Roberto,

Yes port forwarding is set up fine. How would i check if it's assigned a new ip address to the attachment?
rimai

Post by rimai »

If it is assigned a new ip address, it would probably render the port forwarding useless, because it would be forwarding to the incorrect ip address.
Check your port forwarding here:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Use port 2000
If it is correctly setup, it would say port open when you check.
If it says closed, you will need to log into your router and check the settings for your port forwarding.
You would be able to get the newest released ip address that was given to the wifi attachment and setup the port forwarding again.
Roberto.
tom_swell

Post by tom_swell »

I just used the wifi attachment to set up port forwarding and it said that was working fine. However that port checker is now showing port 2000 as closed. How do i add the new ip address to the wifi attachment?

And i'm confused as to how the web portal can receive the current tank parameters like pH and temp and satus of ports but why can't it activate or change ports? Surely if the attachment was sending to the wrong IP address than i wouldn't be able to see any current parameters through the portal
rimai

Post by rimai »

The wifi attachment is setup correctly.
It's your router that needs to be reconfigured as I mentioned above.
Your router is blocking your access to your controller.
It will always allow the controller to connect to the portal no matter what, but for security reasons, the router by default blocks all access to your internal network unless you tell it not to. That's what port forwarding is all about.
It will allow access through a specific port, which in this case is port 2000.
You can check with the manufacturer of your router, your internet provider or even youtube videos/websites online specific to your router model. Each router is different.
Roberto.
tom_swell

Post by tom_swell »

Thanks ROberto, after some issues with my router I was able to set up Port Forwarding and now all is working fine. Now it's time to set up external access :shock: