Initial Setup - Driver issues

New members questions
diddly64

Initial Setup - Driver issues

Post by diddly64 »

Hi

I am still trying to set up my Reef Angel - I have installed and run the installer which is fine right up to where it asks you to plug in the USB then it just stops and no drivers are installed and no port is assigned. I have tried to find the drivers online but no luck so far.. any ideas anyone?
rimai

Re: Initial Setup - Driver issues

Post by rimai »

You can download straight from manufacturer:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
Roberto.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Hi

Thanks for the link but I have tried that already and cannot download as there is no verified digital signature.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Is it Windows 8? There's a setting you can change to be able to use unsigned drivers.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-can-i- ... windows-8/

--Colin
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Hi

It's Windows 7 not windows 8 - is there a similar link that I could try?
Civics14

Post by Civics14 »

I just go the RA+ w/wifi and i'm running win 8.1 pro and i just installed the software and i was able to program the controller and wifi just fine.

It was strange because when I installed the software, my computer never recognized that the usb cable was attached under my Device Manager, but I tested programming the unit and it worked just fine.
rimai

Post by rimai »

I'm pretty sure those drivers are signed. I've never had problems with digital signature.
Even the file name you download says WHQL Certified.
Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM ... tified.exe
Roberto.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Yes I downloaded the file - got a strange message saying that it needed elevation - then computer asked if I wanted to modify it - I did and got the message regarding the certification - still won't load - even went into the cmd and copied and pasted some text to disable the signature requirement - downloaded again and computer asked if I wanted to download anyway - said yes - said the drivers were installed so ran the RA installer again and it did install the drivers and gave me COM3 as the port - then said that communication had failed as the drivers had not installed properly and the Port does not show on Arduino software so nothing will upload to the unit... GRRRRR

Is there a way to just load the drivers without running the whole installer programme as this is all becoming very time consuming?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Are you sure you are logged in as an administrator in your computer?
That is the file you need to install the drivers only. There is no need to install the whole Reef Angel Installer again.
You already have the RA Installer. You just need to figure out why the drivers are not being correctly installed.
Roberto.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Yes I am logged in as the administrator - no idea why the drivers do not download properly or can't be installed. Am going to try to install on my desktop upstairs and see what happens although not sure why this problem should only be on the laptop.. anyway will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help so far.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Hi

Have managed to download and install the driver and got the main controller working now - hooray! but still can't get the wifi attachment to work. I have used the wifi utility which gets as far as saying "setting up your Reef Angel wifi attachment...." and then does not go any further. Have downloaded and tried Tera Term but won't connect once I attach the wifi attachment. Have tried uploading the code to the RA and changing the SSID and passcode - the code uploaded OK but never got any message telling me the ip address or port. Tried uploading the wifitestcode - again this uploaded OK but cant access the attachment - the attachment has only the green light blinking at about 1 flash per second - no blue lights on at all - which is supposed to mean that all is OK - checked my router and it shows the reefangel wifi attachment with an expired IP address but no port and when I try accessing this IP address in a web browser using the default port of 2000 it says page not found. I tried resetting the attachment to factory settings and installing again but still no joy.. just really fed up and frustrated now.. anybody have any suggestions as to what I can try next?? Please...
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

You'll need to make sure port 2000 is open and forwarded to your WiFi adapter in your router. Also couldn't hurt to give it a static IP. What kind of router?

--Colin
rimai

Post by rimai »

If it is blinking green, it is probably connected.
I say probably because you said the lease is expired.
Can you ping that expired ip address?
If you cannot get any response from the ping, you will need Tera Term or putty.
Connect to the module at 57600 baud and type $$$ to enter command mode.
Then use command get e and paste the response here.
Roberto.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

Rooted around on the Internet and found a website that provided step by step guide to port forwarding on my router and have managed to connect the wifi attachment at last. I can access the app but the portal still says unreachable address. How can I access the portal now?
rimai

Post by rimai »

If your port forwarding is indeed setup correctly, you should see port open when you test port 2000 in this site:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Roberto.
diddly64

Post by diddly64 »

It's all working now... Hooray!! Thank you for your help.