What to start with?

New members questions
JonLachelt

What to start with?

Post by JonLachelt »

I want an ATO, and since I think I will want a controller in the future (for dimming, and wave control, etc) I'm thinking it makes sense to start with a RA instead of getting a stand-alone ATO system.

So, will I be happy with the RA+ out of the box with its two float switches? Can that make an adequate ATO controller? Or will I really want the MultiChannel Water Level expansion?
lnevo

Re: What to start with?

Post by lnevo »

You would be fine with float switches to start out and as you get comfortable you can invest in the WL sensor.

You came to a great conclusion :) a lot more value going this route.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

What he said. :mrgreen:

--Colin
JonLachelt

Post by JonLachelt »

Thanks so much.

Also, when I connect my WP-25 I assume the power comes fully from the RA (no use for the original power supply). Is that correct?

I'd also like to add an RW-8, will the base controller handle two wave makers, or do I need an expansion?

As an aside... We have a 4', 55g tank (currently just fish, live-rock & sand... but adding corals in the future) . Any opinion on whether I should go with adding the RW-4 or RW-8? I hear the RW pumps are pretty strong and most people are running them at very low power in these smaller tanks.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

No the power still comes from the power supply. The only thing you won't need is the controller from the wp-25. If you have a free dimming port you won't need a dimming expansion yet. You'll probably be fine with the rw-4 with the other powerhead and it being a smaller tank. However if you lost the wp-25, not sure it would cover by itself.
JonLachelt

Post by JonLachelt »

lnevo wrote:No the power still comes from the power supply.
Oh... so does the Jebao/Speedwave Cable connect the 3 elements together (RA controller, Jebao powersupply, wavemaker)?

Thanks for the info on the RW-4/8. I'll probably just go with the 8, and hopefully be able to dial it back.
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

Yep, the cable connects to the controller, pump, and PS.

The RW's dial back to 20%, vs the old WP's which only went to 30%. I'd go with the 8 on a 55, since you'll want to get a bigger tank sometime in the future. :D