Coding and viewing what it looks like.....

New members questions
vvjosh06

Coding and viewing what it looks like.....

Post by vvjosh06 »

I am currently away from home for about 2 months and im wanting to know if there is anyway to see how your code looks without the reef keeper? Like if i write the code is there a program to see what it looks like without the actual reef angel? or do you guys just imagine what it looks like?
lnevo

Re: Coding and viewing what it looks like.....

Post by lnevo »

You mean like custom screens? No. I do a lot of remote coding. You can use app and verify syntax. I usually do it blind though and rarely except in the early days do screen programming anymore...it's just not that needed since I use my phone mostly.
binder

Post by binder »

I started working on exactly this a couple years ago but never got very far. I believe it needs to be done but I just haven't done it and nobody else has either.

Sent from my Moto X
vvjosh06

Post by vvjosh06 »

nevo, yes i mean custom screens. just thought there was someway to see what i was creating because its hard for me to imagine what it looks like. Binder, i think it would be helpful for the newbs that arent really sure what they're doing that way we could see if it will work/ what it will look like instead of uploading/fixing/uploading and so on, just an idea. I honestly have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to programming custom menus and such. im more of a mechanical guy so this is all new to me. ive read your custom menu PDF several times and its still all gibberish to me haha, but learning just very slowly. also when i get new attachments and expansions, say for instance a relay expansion will all 16 ports show up on the app for cell phones? im assuming yes but just want to verify. i also use the app most all the time as well just would like to learn something new and make it different. Also another question, when my ATO pump turns on its only on for a matter of seconds. ive changed the values from 5-255 and still only on for a few seconds at a time. is there a reason behind this? its inconvenient to have to keep clearing my ATO flag to get it to top off, usually several clears before im back to the high sensor. what do the values represent? seconds/minutes? im assuming seconds but it seems more like miliseconds with how quick it flags again.
binder

Post by binder »

vvjosh06 wrote:Binder, i think it would be helpful for the newbs that arent really sure what they're doing that way we could see if it will work/ what it will look like instead of uploading/fixing/uploading and so on, just an idea. I honestly have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to programming custom menus and such. im more of a mechanical guy so this is all new to me. ive read your custom menu PDF several times and its still all gibberish to me haha, but learning just very slowly.
yeah, this is exactly the reason why i wanted to create the app to begin with....to make it easier for non-technical people. in fact, it's even tricky for people who know what they are doing. i will see if i can get back into it and come up with something...but cannot make any promises.
also when i get new attachments and expansions, say for instance a relay expansion will all 16 ports show up on the app for cell phones? im assuming yes but just want to verify. i also use the app most all the time as well just would like to learn something new and make it different.
yes, you are correct. the app will update the display if you update your controller. it reads the flags that the controller sends telling what modules it has and then changes the displayed pages accordingly.
Also another question, when my ATO pump turns on its only on for a matter of seconds. ive changed the values from 5-255 and still only on for a few seconds at a time. is there a reason behind this? its inconvenient to have to keep clearing my ATO flag to get it to top off, usually several clears before im back to the high sensor. what do the values represent? seconds/minutes? im assuming seconds but it seems more like miliseconds with how quick it flags again.
the ato values are in seconds. if it's kicking off earlier, then there is most likely a problem somewhere in your code. it could be that you are either using a hard coded value instead of the internal memory or vice versa. my suggestion would be to create a separate topic/thread and then ask the same question and post your code in it. this way it will be separated out and not be buried in another discussion.