Design question for remote sump

New members questions
ucez

Design question for remote sump

Post by ucez »

I'm looking to use RA for a remote sump set-up. The display will be about 20-25' from the sump. I was planning to have the head unit at the sump. My question is what hardware do I need at the display and how to do I connect it to the head unit.

At the display, I'd like RA to be controlling/monitoring:
- Lights (Radium LED)
- powerhead(s) (TBD)
- water level (RA water level expansion)

The connection(s) between the display and the sump area are running through the wall and under the floor. Ideally, I'd run whatever cables I may need in the future now while everything is open and assessable, so would like to plan for additional functionality at the display. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

In terms of hardware at the display, I'm really not sure what I need other than the water level expansion. What is the best way to connect the RA water level expansion (or an expansion hub if necessary)? Long USB?
rimai

Re: Design question for remote sump

Post by rimai »

I would go with a long tubing instead of a long USB.
Roberto.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I'd keep the water level stuff local to the sump and use a float switch to monitor the display
ucez

Post by ucez »

lnevo wrote:I'd keep the water level stuff local to the sump and use a float switch to monitor the display
Sounds good, but not sure how I set that up either...My plan was to use the ATO ports on the head unit for my DI system. How do I add another float switch? Now that I think about it, I might want to add another float switch to monitor sump...Maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do.
- Display: emergency shut off if water gets above a certain level (high level switch)
- RO/DI unit: open solenoid to allow DI tank to fill once it is empty (low level switch), then close when full (high level switch)
- Sump: ATO will be gravity fed, but float switch might be good precaution to avoid DI dump.

Is there a way to do this with head unit or do I need an expansion and if so, what is the best way to go?

On the relay at the display, just wanted to make sure how I understand best way to connect relay expansion to control display electronics. The relay box (at display) - communication cable - relay expansion (at sump) - bus cable - head unit (at sump).
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can use them all in parallel in one ATO port so if any causes a fault, your controller would shut off pumps.
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

Wouldn't I need 4 ports?
- Port 1: ATO (DI/RO) high - close solenoid 1 (between RO/DI filter and RO/DI holding tank)
- Port 2: ATO (DI/RO) low - open solenoid 1
- Port 3: Display high - turn off return pump
- Port 4: sump high - close solenoid 2 (between RO/DI holding tank and sump)
rimai

Post by rimai »

You can do what lnevo mentioned: the DI/RO control with the water level expansion and the float switches for high level turn off.
Roberto.
ucez

Post by ucez »

OK, thanks!