Thinking of buying a used RA

New members questions

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:48 pm
I am getting a good deal on a RA w/ 2x 8 plug ports ORP/Temp/pH and wifi module.

I am the least techy guy but have been thinking of possibly getting an RA for some time for the sheer amount of stuff you can seemingly do on it.

With all of this said, when dealing with purchasing a used unit, are there things I should look out for for? Can the code be erased that is currently on it since it is used?

The person has a euro looking 8 port that I asked about. He assured me that US plugs fit in there. I was hesitant about that since i've never seen anything like this, but he assured me that he has been doing it this way for a while.

Any advice anyone would care to share?

Are there specific links I can follow to read up on coding and such?

Lastly, how do you sub for specific threads? I couldn't seem to find the option in a thread where I wanted to save it for later reading.

Thank you.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:28 pm
It'll be easy and the best way to generate new code. You can download the installer and play with the wizard and start working on the code as soon as you like. The plugs sound right, it was always US plugs with adapters for other regions.

The wifi module is a must have, you should just find out if it's a standard or plus. The standard is outdated but the good news is that you can upgrade it to the plus pretty cheaply.

I'm not sure on the thread question.

Good luck and welcome to the club.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:00 am
I think the new Universal Relay Expansion boxes have those kinds of plugs. Look under "Order" for a picture.

Lee is correct on coding, let the Wizard do the initial hard work for you. You can also check out this post for some basic info.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3353

--Colin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:41 pm
lnevo wrote:It'll be easy and the best way to generate new code. You can download the installer and play with the wizard and start working on the code as soon as you like. The plugs sound right, it was always US plugs with adapters for other regions.

The wifi module is a must have, you should just find out if it's a standard or plus. The standard is outdated but the good news is that you can upgrade it to the plus pretty cheaply.

Thank you for the info. I would be buying:
Head unit
2 plug units
2 temp probes
Wifi adapt
Orp unit and probe
Ph probe

all for $150. I'm assuming that is a good deal even if it is a standard one?

I watched a few videos on coding yesterday and while it does some time conducive, I am sure I can adapt.

Thank you again for the info.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:52 pm
Yeah thats a sweet deal. I think the wifi alone is close to that price.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:26 pm
lnevo wrote:Yeah thats a sweet deal. I think the wifi alone is close to that price.

Well great. That is good to know. I'm assuming there is some kind of reset option on the unit? It is used after all and don't want to run whatever it was that this person was running prior. Is there a way to find out if it is a standard/plus without opening it? Is it marked somewhere?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:00 pm
Just download the installer and start playing with the wizard. Look at other peoples code and see if you can follow. Once you get it just upload your code and you'll be good to go

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:31 am
lnevo wrote:Just download the installer and start playing with the wizard. Look at other peoples code and see if you can follow. Once you get it just upload your code and you'll be good to go

Thank you. I have been reading up on Arduino for beginners and it has given me a better grasp of coding. Not overly so, but enough that I think this might actually be doable by someone that doesn't know anything about coding. The wizard seems to be the key here rather than hard code everything from scratch.

Thank you all for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:45 am
lnevo wrote:It'll be easy and the best way to generate new code. You can download the installer and play with the wizard and start working on the code as soon as you like. The plugs sound right, it was always US plugs with adapters for other regions.

btw, I found out that the unit he is selling is the plus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:15 pm
Definitely start with the Wizard. It will set up all the necessary structures that you can then customize if you want.
Next

Return to For New Members