USB on Relay Box

New members questions
robmwpropane

USB on Relay Box

Post by robmwpropane »

So I had a minute to start unpacking my RA and noticed a USB cord, and a USB plug on the relay box. I looked through the manual and see nothing that references this? I see it in the pictures, but nowhere can I find anything?
rimai

Re: USB on Relay Box

Post by rimai »

Sorry.
You are talking about the universal relay box, right?
I need to update the manuals.
You simply need to plug the usb cable into the universal relay box and then the other end into either the hub or the main relay box.
The universal relay box has a built-in expansion module.
Roberto.
robmwpropane

Re: USB on Relay Box / USB Power Cable

Post by robmwpropane »

rimai wrote:Sorry.
You are talking about the universal relay box, right?
Yes, (I think), big black box, 8 plugs.

Ahhh, just saw it in the products section. The wire is the usb power cable.

So I use the power cable to power the head unit (does it matter which temperature probe port?), then connect usb-ttl to PC, then usb-ttl to head unit. This is a little deceptive in the manual, as it doesn't really specify how to power the head unit. (I originally thought it was powered by the 8 plug relay box,...also thought what a pain that would be, so this is much easier)

I (think) I got it now.

? - Is it possible to leave the usb-ttl connected to the RA and PC to monitor it? At least until I get the wifi? I noticed the option in the windows app to use wifi or usb?
rimai

Re: USB on Relay Box

Post by rimai »

Yeah, the USB power cable allows you to power the head unit for programming without the relay box.
Without that, you would have to bring the whole setup to the computer or bring a laptop close to the head unit.
Any temp port would work for the USB power cable.
You can leave the USB-TTL cable connected to the computer for monitoring.
Just make sure to enable the wifi when creating your code with the wizard, even though you don't have one.
It will enable the feature and allow it to communicate with your PC for monitoring. You would need a software installed in the PC to be able to grab the data from the controller or you can create your own if you are up to it.
I've seen people doing it either way.
There is a software that hasn't been updated in a while that you can use:
http://forum.reefangel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2103
Roberto.