12V Water solenoid valve

New members questions
Loose

12V Water solenoid valve

Post by Loose »

New to RA here and I'd like a little advice on how to operate a 12V 3/4" water solenoid valve.

I have plumbed my tank to so that I have a (semi) permanent siphon in order to perform no bucket water changes into a deep sink in an adjacent room from my setup.

I have purchased a Reef Angel Star controller and would like to know the best (proper) way to operate the valve. I'm still searching for the current draw of these valves on Amazon, but that doesn't seem to be listed in the descriptions.

I see four options, but not sure which is correct (if any):

1. Valve wired directly to an I/O port. (I/O expansion module???)
2. I/O port wired to a relay and a separate power source to operate the valve. (I/O expansion module???)
3. Wire the valve to a port on a Power Control expansion module.
4. Wire a relay to a port on a Power Control expansion module and, as in 2, a separate power source to operate the valve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something... Thomas Huxley
210gal DT | 50gal sump/refug | Jebao DCP 10000 pump | RO 200-int skimmer | DIY built stand | DIY 160 led, 12 channel, 458 watt, on MakersLED 72" heatsink
rimai

Re: 12V Water solenoid valve

Post by rimai »

can you use a socket on the relay box?
Plug a 12vdc power supply to activate the solenoid.
Roberto.
Loose

Re: 12V Water solenoid valve

Post by Loose »

Thanks Roberto. That'll work. To drain water, I'll be opening two of these valves simultaneously; both can be on the same power supply. Additionally, for the fill, it'll be a solenoid valve and a pump and I can use the same method. I'm thinking I'll need more than 8 outlets anyway so a Relay Expansion wouldn't be extra. :)

And I did see these posts:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6477&p=54922&hilit=Power+Control+Expansion#p54922

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6349&p=54228&hilit=Power+Control+Expansion#p54228
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something... Thomas Huxley
210gal DT | 50gal sump/refug | Jebao DCP 10000 pump | RO 200-int skimmer | DIY built stand | DIY 160 led, 12 channel, 458 watt, on MakersLED 72" heatsink