600Gal + Much More: Final Round

Talk about you and your tank/equipment
tkeracer619

600Gal + Much More: Final Round

Post by tkeracer619 »

Hey guys, It's been a while since I have been around. I lost my 360gal system during my move and have been focusing on other aspects of my life. Fast forward a few years and here I am again. Instead of packing up and moving on I went all out. The new home was purchased with the intent on going big and I hope not to disappoint.

The display is a 96x48x33H 600Gal commercial glass tank made my Miracles Aquariums. It sits in a recreation room that measures 30x20ft and has a decorative concrete floor. The system itself is a work in progress but is approaching fully operational after 1.5 years of work. The system is plumbed into the basement where it has a dedicated filtration, propagation, and quarantine room. This room consists of...

Tied to main display
100Gal Custom AGE acrylic sump
100Gal 48x48x10" Coral Flat
50Gal 48x20x10" Coral Flat
78" Tall RK2 Commercial Skimmer
Masterflex fed Calcium Reactor
Masterflex dosing pump for Vodka Dosing
Aquamedic Kalk reactor
Vertex Media Reactor

Independent Systems
BTA Propagation System consisting of 6 20Gal All-in-One systems
75Gal QT All-in-One
60Gal QT All-in-One

Support Equipment
Shop Sink - Converts to fragging station
200GPD 9 Stage RODI System
200Gal RODI Storage Tank w/ Closed Loop Dionization
200Gal Saltwater Storage Tank
HRV - Heat Recovery Ventilator - Exchanges house air 3x per day to control humidity but retain heat.
3x 20a Circuits
1x 15a Circuit
Shelving for storage
Storage for 8x boxes of salt

Plans for my ReefAngel
The flexibility of the system is what drew me into the RA world in the first place. I've had the original, the Plus, and will migrate to the Star before this project is complete. I will be monitoring temperature of the room as well as the 11 tanks. ORP, Salinity, PH, and RF for Ecotech Marine Vortechs will be utilized on the 600gal and two coral flats. Lighting and heater control will also be done through the RA.

I would like to mount a tablet to the wall of the room to have the portal displayed. The hope is that I will be able to customize a screen to provide me with critical data from all systems as well as logs to help spot any abnormalities. I am sure other features will be implemented along the way as the system matures.

I'll post some pictures in this thread as time allows. If you want to take a look at the build thread it can be found on RC. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=2578543

Thanks for taking a look, feels good to be back 8-)

Here is the live stream! It should be up between Noon and Midnight MST daily. Best watched in 1080p.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/live_stre ... pIlN7h2Ldw
Last edited by tkeracer619 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
binder

Re: 600Gal + Much More: Final Round

Post by binder »

awesome! I haven't read the thread yet but sounds awesome.
everything you want to do should be possible. the tablet app you mentioned could be possible with the Star and Android. an ios tablet app would be limited to the uapp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
tngo

Post by tngo »

Great thread! I've gone through about half of it and the amount of work that has been put in is amazing. 1600lb tank!! Just thinking about moving a tank that size makes my head spin. Going to definitely read more of the thread when I have time. Lots of helpful pictures and nuggets in there for any one starting a tank of their own.

tim
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Thanks guys!

Tngo, it was a beast to move in, one cannot simply lift a 1600lb tank no matter how many friends you bribe with free micro-brew beer and pizza. All hydraulics all the time :P . Thanks for looking through the thread, its starting to come together even if I've had some setbacks.

Binder, that is great news! Android is the way I was hoping to go anyways, so many more options. If you have any suggestions I am all ears. Tis the season for discounted tablets :D.
binder

Post by binder »

tkeracer619 wrote:Thanks guys!
Binder, that is great news! Android is the way I was hoping to go anyways, so many more options. If you have any suggestions I am all ears. Tis the season for discounted tablets :D.
yea, i need to get back into improving my android app. it's showing its "age". I'm trying to to find some time to work out the details for ideas I have in mind. Life continues to get in the way though but slow and gradual work is being done.

tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Looks like going beyond 6 temp probes will require a fair amount of coding to the libraries. Until we can work through that I'll use 6 probes to just monitor as well as be a safety to my BTA propagation system. I'll continue to bring modules online.

Currently I am trying to get the 6 probes to display, I was just using the wizard but I suspect it isn't displaying the extra 3 probes due to the screen program. I'll make a custom screen in the next few days. If anyone sees something obvious why it doesn't display please let me know.

So far here is my code... super complex I know :lol:

Code: Select all

#include <ReefAngel_Features.h>
#include <Globals.h>
#include <RA_Wifi.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <OneWire.h>
#include <Time.h>
#include <DS1307RTC.h>
#include <InternalEEPROM.h>
#include <RA_NokiaLCD.h>
#include <RA_ATO.h>
#include <RA_Joystick.h>
#include <LED.h>
#include <RA_TempSensor.h>
#include <Relay.h>
#include <RA_PWM.h>
#include <Timer.h>
#include <Memory.h>
#include <InternalEEPROM.h>
#include <RA_Colors.h>
#include <RA_CustomColors.h>
#include <Salinity.h>
#include <RF.h>
#include <IO.h>
#include <ORP.h>
#include <AI.h>
#include <PH.h>
#include <WaterLevel.h>
#include <Humidity.h>
#include <DCPump.h>
#include <PAR.h>
#include <ReefAngel.h>

////// Place global variable code below here

////// Place global variable code above here

void setup()
{
    // This must be the first line
    ReefAngel.Init();  //Initialize controller
    ReefAngel.AddStandardMenu();  // Add Standard Menu
    ReefAngel.Use2014Screen();  // Let's use 2014 Screen
    // Ports toggled in Feeding Mode
    ReefAngel.FeedingModePorts = 0;
    // Ports toggled in Water Change Mode
    ReefAngel.WaterChangePorts = 0;
    // Ports turned off when Overheat temperature exceeded
    ReefAngel.OverheatShutoffPorts = Port1Bit | Port2Bit | Port3Bit | Port4Bit | Port5Bit | Port6Bit | Port7Bit | Port8Bit;
    // Ports toggled when Lights On / Off menu entry selected
    ReefAngel.LightsOnPorts = Port1Bit | Port3Bit;
    // Use T1 probe as temperature and overheat functions
    ReefAngel.TempProbe = T1_PROBE;
    ReefAngel.OverheatProbe = T1_PROBE;
    // Set the Overheat temperature setting
    InternalMemory.OverheatTemp_write( 820 );
    ////// Place additional initialization code below here
    // Add additional temperature probes
    ReefAngel.AddExtraTempProbes();
    //ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T4_PROBE];
    //ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T5_PROBE];
    //ReefAngel.Params.Temp[T6_PROBE];

////// Place additional initialization code above here
}

void loop()
{
    ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port1,11,0,23,30 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T6_PROBE,Port2,770,800 );
    ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port3,14,0,17,0 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T5_PROBE,Port4,770,800 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T4_PROBE,Port5,770,800 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T3_PROBE,Port6,770,800 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T2_PROBE,Port7,770,800 );
    ReefAngel.StandardHeater( T1_PROBE,Port8,770,800 );

////// Place your custom code below here

////// Place your custom code above here

ReefAngel.Portal( "tkeracer619" );
    // This should always be the last line
    ReefAngel.ShowInterface();
}

// RA_STRING1=null
// RA_STRING2=null
// RA_STRING3=null
// RA_LABEL LABEL_ACTINIC=Actinic
// RA_LABEL LABEL_DAYLIGHT=Daylight
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Has it really been since January since I posted here? Dang time flys when you're having fun.

I've been running my reefangel offline for a while since I can't get the wifi module to stay connected. No matter what I do it dies around 4-9 days.

Haven't pulled the trigger on the star controller just yet since I haven't really gotten far enough with my current RA+. Time hasn't allowed for me to get much done in that regard, have a baby on the way so things are a little crazy around here.

Anyhow, hope all is well with everyone. Forums seem a bit quiet these days.
binder

Post by binder »

congrats with the baby on the way!

yeah, time does fly when you are having fun. I'm sure you will figure out your issue with the wifi module and all.

tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

binder wrote:congrats with the baby on the way!

yeah, time does fly when you are having fun. I'm sure you will figure out your issue with the wifi module and all.

Thanks! We're super excited.

I've almost given up on the wifly module. It's been a royal PITA. Every time I think I've got it, it disconnects and won't reconnect. I have it running with an external antenna even...

I updated the first post with the live stream. Is it possible to embed the video in the forums?
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Congrats! It's good to see people keeping up on threads like this one :) We have a great little community here and we only spend time on our problems :)

How's your wifi otherwise? I got an Orbi mesh network and it's been fantastic. I have a cloud wifi hub and it drops connection here and there still anyway, but my star's ethernet has been rock solid. I highly recommend the star. It changes some things, but the remote upload is really nice feature.

I'm just now getting back to my tank after a year plus of inactivity. My controller has run most things perfectly without any intervention. My salinity was a bit low, I wish I had a stable salinity probe. Otherwise fixed all my issues up, and waiting for results now. I need to test more. I'm really looking at a lot of these startup alkatronic, reefbot, the neptune one. I really wish these were more accessible. I'm sure prices will come down eventually.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Thanks!

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network setup and wired the house with Cat6. Thing is absolutely rock solid, wifi uptime is currently 163 days without a hiccup :). I was able to hardwire the single access point into the ceiling right in the middle of the house (2800sf tri-level split). The lowest any device gets in the house is about 80% and even out in the garage the Tesla has a 67% connection. RA has 87% signal strength. I got tired of failing internet hardware and decided to get quality gear instead of mass consumer hardware. We have underground wiring and at this point it's a race for fiber or 5g in our neighborhood. Right now I'm stuck with comcast at 250down/10up with a TB cap. The Axis camera I'm using can destroy that TB so I have to limit it to 4mb/s which I can do a smooth 1080p30 for about 12h a day.

My Unifi setup...
-Security Gateway
-Cloud Key
-8 Port PoE Switch
-AC Pro Access Point

I definitely will go with the Star. I should have pulled the trigger when it was on the intro price... but I do have a functioning plus so making the jump while in the long term plans isn't necessary yet. In the end it will be necessary due to the things I want to do with it but I can work on code and flesh most of the system out with the Plus. My self imposed fish budget is pretty much Nil at this point though so I am trying to make do with what I have. Having a massive setup like this can easily spiral out of control quick if you let it.

Have you seen my post on RC about the Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup? If you want a rock solid tank this is the way to go. I do think some of these auto testing systems are cool but would wait for this sector of our hobby to mature. I certainly wouldn't have them in the loop allowing to make changes. That's scary.
binder

Post by binder »

I second the Ubiquity option. I got tired of the crappy consumer wifi options as well. I run the original UAP (wifi bgn) for my wifi that my RA connects to and I run a UAP Pro at home. I have Cat 6 hardwire everywhere as well. I haven't made the plunge to AC version... trying to let all the standards settle down and the newness to wear off and the prices to drop. plus I have a hard time replacing something that's not broken. :smile:

tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

binder wrote:I second the Ubiquity option. I got tired of the crappy consumer wifi options as well. I run the original UAP (wifi bgn) for my wifi that my RA connects to and I run a UAP Pro at home. I have Cat 6 hardwire everywhere as well. I haven't made the plunge to AC version... trying to let all the standards settle down and the newness to wear off and the prices to drop. plus I have a hard time replacing something that's not broken. :smile:

Yeah man, it's great! Luckily we have a microcenter locally so they have all the hardware in stock. Allows for impulse buys :). I wouldn't replace it either unless there is a need. I went through so many Asus and other various routers it isn't funny, have a box of them in the basement. They always seemed to last just over a year.

Here's my little IT corner. Also includes security camera DVR, and a UPS Battery Backup.

tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

You also have to love the Unifi Management Software... the wife says she doesn't watch much TV :lol:

binder

Post by binder »

yes I do love the unifi management software. I don't have the security gateway... i run my own custom router based on pfsense.

suuurreee she doesn't watch much tv. that's like my wife saying she's not on her phone a lot on Facebook. haha :laugh:

mav3rick478

Post by mav3rick478 »

Damn are those streaming numbers per month or total since being set up?

Congrats on the baby!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

mav3rick478 wrote:Damn are those streaming numbers per month or total since being set up?

Congrats on the baby!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Haha, since last time I updated firmware. Maybe 5 months ago. I was being a little hard on the wife... She's a special ed high school teacher, works after hours at a behavioral clinic, and does home bound teaching with kids who have severe needs. Then, she comes homes and does homework with the TV on... All while being preggers :lol:
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

For my size tank a calcium reactor is overkill (65g) and 2 part is so damn simple. It's all math and so easy to manage. As long as you have failsafes and back them up with some manual testing I have no issues. The alkatronic actually looks like it's doing a lot of monitoring, anomaly management, etc that would make this a reliable piece. I mean it's not much different than setting up 2 part on the RA and then making sure I don't do something stupid with the RA or code something bad. Only one time I had issues and that was after I messed with wiring and caused the RA to get a lot of buslocks. In 6 years (probably dosing for 3.5 years of that), the only problem I had was my own causing and not a controller managing my dosing. There's nothing the alkatronic is doing that I couldn't or wouldn't code myself if we had the ability to calculate alk. I have a function now that I got from alanm that corrects alk based on the volume my doser does. I've used it a few times. It's rock solid. This sector is definitely going to mature. There's definitely some exciting things. I'm pretty impressed by Reef Kinetics and the Apex Triton and the kHGuardian. If only Mindstream wasn't vaporware, we'd have some real choices in the market for reliable automated testing. It's coming for real for sure soon. ReefKinetics is probably the most open of what's available that we could integrate with, but that's also a $700-800 unit I believe. Anyway, I'm excited now because the alkatronic has a ph output port that can calibrate with the RA. Ok, this is probably my next purchase lol :)
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

lnevo wrote:For my size tank a calcium reactor is overkill (65g)
I think this entire hobby is overkill. My Coral/Invert QT which is a RSM 130D (34gal) has a full blown Masterflex CaRx setup I used to have to test and dose that tank daily but now can go months without making adjustments to the reactor. It may be overkill but IMO/IME it's the most stable method for supplementing our tanks. There are a lot of coral farms, large reefs, and high end collectors using and swearing by the method. I also think running kalkwasser in top off is beneficial to most setups.

The sticker shock can definitely be overwhelming though. It has also spurred equipment manufacturers to build better peristaltic pumps so at least there is that. I know for a fact there are some really nice affordable peristaltic pumps about to hit the market.
tkeracer619

Post by tkeracer619 »

Unrelated to my aquarium but I purchased a Tesla Model 3, its an awesome car! If anyone is purchasing a Tesla and needs a referral code for free supercharging I'd be super appreciative if you use my referral code :) Just send me a pm, Thanks!