kalkwasser fix for PH

Talk about you and your tank/equipment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am
Wanted to ask this question of some of the more experienced People on the forum.

When you dosing kalkwasser do you dose it against PH, or Calcium, or Alk? If I add higher amount that my PH can handle will this cause my Calcium, and Alk levels to rise, or will it just maintain them? Lots of conflicting info on this on the internet, and LFS.

I have been fighting with a low PH problem and have been dabbling with using this in my ATO

I have tried to fix the low PH issue with the following

Tried Result

30% water change No change to PH
Pulled air line from out side for skimmer No change to PH
Added 2 wooden air-stones with air pump out side to pull in higher oxygen air This helped some
until I used Phosban

Rebalanced Calcium and Alk to 490 and 10.8 dkh, Mag is 1300 I know Cal. and
Alk are slightly Hi No Change to PH
riggeek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:03 pm
Increase surface turbulence and run macro algae opposite your DT lights. If you're already using macro, make sure it's growing fast by adding more light, flow, rotation. A higher overall respiration of organisms in your system is the path to take.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:54 pm
We have set up the macro sump lights to be on opposite to the day lights. I was running them 24/7 going to monitor it for a few days, and see what i have from there.
riggeek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:27 pm
Kalkwasser is an amazing way to help with pH as well as to take care of most if not all of your calcium needs. I use 7gallon of RO water with 2. Tbsp of Kalkwasser powder (Calcium hydroxide) and 8 Tbsp of grocery store 10% acidity vinegar (white only). This is pumped into my tank continuously using a peristaltic pump and serves as top off water as well as my entire calcium supplementation. I have a 57 gallon rimless tank with a 30 gallon breeder sump so about 80-90 gallons if you subtract the rock. Tank is very heavy on SPS and my growth over a year astounds most people. Never touch a calcium supplement and its always right at about 400. Have never tracked pH but my refugium has a giant cheato ball and I run lights on a reverse cycle there. If your running a calcium reactor that can get you into pH trouble depending on how you have it regulated etc... but with Kalkwasser I have never needed to add anything but a vitamin/trace supplement (reef FUEL) which I do manually a few days a week randomly basically. Try it... but do not use Kalk if your ATO delivers large quantities sporadically you can wreak havoc with your pH that way.... the Vinegar acts like vodka dosing as it provides a nitrogen free simple carbon source to keep the bacteria going happily. I have been doing this for a year, its wonderful.

Randy Holmes-Farley has some discussion of this in a few of his posts (not here) and Kalk is known as one of the best balanced (alk and Ca) supplements you can find, my tank is running very smoothly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 am
Rufessor -
I have a dumb question -
Doesn't the Vinger cancel out the PH gain in your mixture ?
----------------------------------
75G with 30G sump | 52 LED - RapidLED Lighting (DIY) |
ReefAngel for Meanwell ELN-D Drivers | Reef Octopus HOB-1000
Way to much time and money invested.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 am

I think the idea is not much on gaining temporary ph increase from the kalk, but gaining alkalinity buffer to prevent long term ph drop, right?
Roberto.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 am
I would assume this is his issue. Without a proper buffer the pH will continue to drop more and more over time. This wouldn't effect a short time period. But other a month etc this can/will create big issues. Must buffer!!
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am
Oh, sorry for not quoting... I meant to comment about MDN's post.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:52 pm
MDN wrote:Rufessor -
I have a dumb question -

Here is the article I wanted to find for you:
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/bree ... asser.html
Roberto.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 am
I have quit using the vinger for the last month. Just to see if i seen it affecting the PH. So far I have not been able see any real difference. I have a higher Co2 level in my tank.
riggeek

Next

Return to You and your tank