Cart before Horse

Talk about you and your tank/equipment
Rayzback

Cart before Horse

Post by Rayzback »

A friend of mine recently bought a couple of Reef Angel units for his tanks with all the additional goodies. Yesterday, he asked that I help him get setup. I was able to take one home to mess with. Just want to say, I'm really impressed!

The geek in me went crazy. I was up till 3am reading the forums and skipping around various Arduino sites. The possibilities of the RA seem endless, only limited by your nerd know how. I like the Visual Studio plug in. Even if you're not a geek, the wizard gets you up and running nicely and there appears to be a wealth of info in the forums.

Wish I hadn't spent so much on corals over the holiday now. I do see a Reef Angel in my future, but will have to be happy with just browsing the forums until then.
Rayzback

Cart before Horse

Post by Rayzback »

Ohhh 90g mixed reef, 2x Radion, 2x Mp40ESW, etc.etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
lnevo

Cart before Horse

Post by lnevo »

Welcome! I recommend to everyone looking at controllers to at least check out the RA. With everything it comes with and everything it does and *can* do. Especially after seeing someone else's Apex code posted, I much prefer C++ code! The possibilities really are endless. Someone else on another forum called all Aquarium Controllers "glorified timers" and I definitely think RA is not that at all!!

Anyway, let us know if you need any assistance setting up your friends devices. One recommendation I have is if your friend has the wifi module, you setup using the memory settings, this way he can change anything later from the portal without having to reprogram.

Enjoy!
Lee
lnevo

Cart before Horse

Post by lnevo »

Rayzback wrote:Ohhh 90g mixed reef, 2x Radion, 2x Mp40ESW, etc.etc.

You will have fun with the RF module!! I wish Radions met my needs better otherwise I'd be all over 'em!
Rayzback

Cart before Horse

Post by Rayzback »

Cool, thanks for the tip..right now we just have the dhcp going.

Rayzback

Cart before Horse

Post by Rayzback »

Looking forward to messing with the rf module. Heck, everything about the RA sounds like fun.

Rayzback

Cart before Horse

Post by Rayzback »

One question, just dreaming and thinking way ahead.. Would a person be able to add their own sensor for the RA. Say they wanted to add a flow device to calculate GPH... Or a servo for a skimmer cup wipe. Dreamin and just asking.

binder

Re: Cart before Horse

Post by binder »

Rayzback wrote:One question, just dreaming and thinking way ahead.. Would a person be able to add their own sensor for the RA. Say they wanted to add a flow device to calculate GPH... Or a servo for a skimmer cup wipe. Dreamin and just asking.
Yeah, it could be possible to do that. The specs for the controller and all the modules are available. In fact, it IS encouraged to improve things and work with it. Roberto is awesome about helping out and providing information.
jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I'd say that's half the fun of the RA. I've added light sensors, water (leak) sensors, power sensors, and flow meters in the last year or so and everything I needed I learned from the experts here.

-Jon
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

jsclownfish wrote:I'd say that's half the fun of the RA. ...everything I needed I learned from the experts here.

-Jon
Ditto
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative