Trying to see if a reef angel is right for me

Talk about you and your tank/equipment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:14 am
I have just recently heard about the Reef Angel and it sounds like what I would like to add to my new tank that I am building right now. First about my tank: It is a 40 gal breeder tank with a home made stand and a 40 gal breeder sump, I have 2 Cree led light systems for the main lights similar to this one: I guess you can't use URL links but it is a Cree Led that comes as a all in one if you look on amazon under "Aqua Pro 60W CREE XP-E LED Aquarium Reef" you will find something close to mine ( I don't know what watts mine is or any specifics right now). I will also have a moon lights that are a strip that just plug into the wall. I have a Jebao WP-25 circulation pump. I will be using a SCA 302 protein skimmer in the sump and my sump light will be a screw in LED light bulb.

What I would like to do with the Reef Angel is: 1) Be able to monitor my tank while I'm away because I'm in the Army and my wife ends up watching the tank for me, 2) I would like to create a sunrise and sunset, 3) I would like a warning if the tank is leaking or overflowing.

Will the Reef Angel be able to create the sunrise with these lights? Will I need the analog or PMW? What all would I need to get with the Reef Angel to do this?

Thanks for all the info in advance. I am really into working on my tank and the Reef Angel seems to have endless possibilities, so I'm excited to try this controller but it is a lot of money to put into something if it doesn't do what you think it will.

Tony
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am
Welcome Tony;

The Reef Angel does have endless possibilities, and the people in the forum are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Form what I can see you will need the following...

Reef Angel+ (PWM or Analog depends on what you will be dimming with it)

The Jebao 25 can run PWM or analog, but you will need a Jebao/Speedwave cable harness.

As far as your Cree LED's lights go you need to find out if it can be controlled without the stock controller and if it can is it PWM or Analog.
If you can control it with a third party controller and on the stock you will need a dimming expansion module. The module can be switched from PWM to Analog via jumpers inside the unit.
The sunrise/sunset can be done with the dimming module if the lights can work with it.

To monitor the tank you'll need a WiFi Module.
To check for leak or overflow you'll need the Rope leak Detector Expansion and an Expansion hub.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 am
You need to check with the manufacturer of your light fixture if it is controllable by a third party controller and which signal it takes.
The Jebao pumps for sure can be controlled and you can use any signal as Steve mentioned above.
Roberto.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 am
I guess I don't understand. Isn't the controller limiting the power to the outlet to dim it? How is it controlling the light and what makes it controllable by a third party.

Is Aqua Pro the company, and where would I find that kind of info? Sorry I have limited internet access where I'm at and I want to find out as much as I can before I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 am
No, you are going the wrong path.
Not all lights are dimmable and definitely not all fixtures are controllable.
The LED fixture needs to offer the capability. The controller does nothing more than control it.
You need to start off with a fixture that is dimmable and controllable by a third party controller. Most fixtures that come from China are not.
If it is, it would advertised and it would say which type of dimming signal it accepts.
I don't think the one you mentioned is, by the looks of how everything is connected together. You will need to contact the manufacturer. I've never heard of that fixture before, so I can't help you with that. Sorry...
Roberto.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:57 pm
As Roberto said you need a light the is dimmable and controllable.

I was led to a Chinese LED that is advertised as dimmable and I have come to find out thru other people that it is controllable.

The light is an analog controller, basically a little potenitometer that reduces the voltage going from the power supply to the light. This type of dimmer you can get off E-Bay for $5.

This is the light. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300915148718?ss ... 1439.l2649

Someone found out that if you connect it to a Mean Well ELN-60-48D Analog dimmable driver http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-eln-6 ... le-driver/ you can have the RA control it.

I got this and it does work.
My next step is to try to connect it to a PWM driver that will allow it to dim to 0. The analog version above only goes down to about 15%.

This is a little more complicated and requires more equipment that I already had from an abandoned project.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 am
Well I can't find anything that says it is controllable and have not found the manufactures contact info yet. Maybe when I get back home I will be able to find out more.

If I can't control the lights by dimming them and only by on and off, what do you think the biggest reason for owning a Reef Angel? I realize it does a lot but it seems like a big investment.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am
As you said before the options are endless with a RA.
Basically if you can think of it someone on here can help you code it.

I have mine set up to control a denitification system and I'm about to set it up to do automatic water changes, refill my top off container when it is empty an refill my Salt water replenishment when it is empty. With the use of solenoid valves and coding.

I used to be against controllers because I was able to do everything I needed with timers, but since I've gotten it, I keep finding ways to replace my timers with the controller and everything is communicating with each other.

MY ATO knows not to start putting water in when the denitrification unit is running and the water level may drop a little low.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:52 pm
lion-clown wrote:Well I can't find anything that says it is controllable and have not found the manufactures contact info yet. Maybe when I get back home I will be able to find out more.

If I can't control the lights by dimming them and only by on and off, what do you think the biggest reason for owning a Reef Angel? I realize it does a lot but it seems like a big investment.

I have on/off LED lights and probably have one of the largest amounts of code in my ReefAngel. I use it to automate water change routine, manage the tank while I'm on vacation. Monitor my top of reservoir. Notify me in pH events. Backup thermostat for my heater. Control my auto-feeder + feeding mode. Flow control. Dosing control for 2 part. I use a function that converts volume to number of seconds based on the calibrated rate of each pump. Sump level monitoring and alarm. Skimmer control. Power outage monitoring, etc. Seriously worth every single penny I've spent.

If you're just looking at RA to be your light control, then you're definitely better off buying lights that just have their own controller like the IT2040's or similar. If you want to control your tank and monitor all the aspects of it and feel confident when you're away that things are running well, then you're in the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:01 am
Steve and Lee I have looked at your codes and all the things you are doing with the Reef Angel and honestly it's almost over whelming. I would love to monitor the tank from afar because I am gone quite a bit and it would help my wife out I'm sure. Not to mention I love having something to tinker with and come up with new things to do to the tank. Thanks for all your help

How does it control the dimming? I don't understand how an outlet is controlling it unless it is through voltage output.

Does the Reef Angel work with a Windows phone? I will never get one again but right now I am stuck with it.

I would love to see pictures of your setups to see how they work. The automated water changes sounds way too cool. What is a denitification system.

Thanks again you guys are so helpful
Tony
Next

Return to You and your tank