How comfortable are you leaving your tank while away?

alexwbush

How comfortable are you leaving your tank while away?

Post by alexwbush »

I am curious what threshold you have for how long you feel comfortable leaving your tank without someone physically stopping by to look it over and make adjustments.

I can usually go 1 week without stressing. The only limitation I have is usually my ATO container (a 5 gallon jug). Longest I have gone is 2 weeks, but I had someone come by and switch my ATO containers.

I am getting ready to leave my tank for 5 weeks. Yup, you heard that right... 5 whole weeks away. I tested out the evaporation and believe 20 gallons of top off should hold me for that time. I am also using an eheim feeder, webcam, portal, and android app to keep an eye on my tank... but you know :lol: . After 1-2 days, I usually stop worrying. I am only ~3 hours away and I'm giving keys to someone who knows nothing about aquariums. Only thing I plan to have them do is add more top off water to the 20 gallon ATO container if needed. Otherwise... good luck fishies!
jsclownfish

Re: How comfortable are you leaving your tank while away?

Post by jsclownfish »

The longest I've done is 10 days. However, I was across the globe. I couldn't have gone any longer because of the top -off reservoir as well. However, my family was there in case of a big emergency. I did have my son add a little "cube food" once just to mix up the diet from all flake food. I must admit it wasn't unusual to check the tank or look at the webcam in the middle of the night (daytime at home) to check on the tank, as I couldn't sleep much anyway. ;) I'm getting ready for another trip next month. I'm hoping all goes well again.

-Jon
rimai

Post by rimai »

I've gone 2 weeks when I went on vacation last time.
When I came back, my ATO container was empty and if I stayed one day longer, my return pump would start cavitating... lol
So, it's best to have extra water than run dry, my 2 cents.
Roberto.
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

rimai wrote:I've gone 2 weeks when I went on vacation last time.
When I came back, my ATO container was empty and if I stayed one day longer, my return pump would start cavitating... lol
So, it's best to have extra water than run dry, my 2 cents.
Very true, especially with all the fail safes you can build in.

I had a similar situation and now I have the water level expansion module programmed to turn off return and skimmer if the water level gets too low.
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

I am on the fence about leaving the tank. because the wifi module locks up almost daily.And sometimes it locks up the head unit. Plus I haven't finished the ato.
Adam
58 Gal
alexwbush

Post by alexwbush »

ATO is a must. I wouldn't leave it without an ATO. Is your tank really far from your router? I had a problem at my last place with weak signal, but it's solid here.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Ademster wrote:I am on the fence about leaving the tank. because the wifi module locks up almost daily.And sometimes it locks up the head unit. Plus I haven't finished the ato.
I have a hard time leaving my tank also. I have had to go out of town on business for a week at a time on multiple occasions recently. Every trip my WiFi mod would lock up by Wednesday night. I also have IP cam's on both my tank and on my sump. One trip I knew the controller was still working even though I had no contact with the controller due to WiFi lock up because my ATO was keeping my water level correct. Another trip I had the Wifi and the controller lock up. After a day of viewing it was clear the controller was locked up also as the IP cams showed that ATO was NOT functioning. That trip by Thursday I had no choice but to call a friend in to go to my place and follow detailed instructions over the cell to get everything working again. Happy to report I just returned Friday from another week long trip and things went great. My ATO timed out once but thanks to the Android app I reset the flag on it. the WiFi held on this trip and I had connection through the entire trip. First time it has ever gone a week without a problem that required a reset.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

jsclownfish

Post by jsclownfish »

I just got back from 10 days in Israel and everything still looks great.  Fish are fed, temps stable, and ato's topped off the water.  Another couple days and I would have needed to refill the top off reservoir. 

Thanks Roberto and RA for piece of mind and a healthy tank while I was away!

Jon
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I haven't gone away in a bit... but I have a little story... I was standing by my tank the other day while my friend was over to pick up a frag I had just picked up in Manhattan. One was for me and one was for him... I had just taken some water out to dip my frag about 10 minutes before. As we were standing there, my return pump shut off and my phone vibrated... My float switch had triggered that there wasn't enough water in my return chamber and shut down... guess what.. with Sandy and all last week, and all the going on... I forgot to fill up my ATO reservoir. Everything worked as it should to prevent damage to my equipment and I received quick notification. that something was wrong and was able to address it before things really hit the fan. I can only imagine what would have happened if my return pump was off all night burning itself out... Thanks RA!
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

So I'm on vacation. Wifi hasn't had much of a problem.

Of course while I'm in San Diego, it locked up. Now I can't clear the ato. I don't how things are.

Worried now
Adam
58 Gal
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Is there anyone you can walk through checking it? I think knowing of a problem is half the battle :)

How long can you go with no ATO?
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

Well, I evaporated 10gallons a day.

My tank camngo 3 days.

But I have a back up system on it. For top off.

The lights didn't even come on because it locked up at 5:03 am this morning.

I have a friend going tonight to feed the puffer and eel he is a reefhead too. I already Alec him through the reset procedure
I am on the most current libraries to. I'm not happy. But what ever.
Adam
58 Gal
dapg8gt

Post by dapg8gt »

Not too comfortable hearing these issues with the wifi .. Is it a normal thing for most to have the wifi module lock up and lose communication?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
My other hobby has 450rwhp and eats tires instead of mysis!
Ademster

Post by Ademster »

Wasn't the wifi that locked up.

Apparently the whole unit locked up again. white screen with red led flashing.

He had to power down the system and reboot 4 times before it began working again., which was after 10pm last night. so it was all day. that it was in the dark. lights didnt turn on, algae turff scrubbr light on all day, sump light on all day. main lights didn't turn on.
Adam
58 Gal