Android App Notifications

lnevo

Android App Notifications

Post by lnevo »

I would kill my phone if i kept getting notified. Why not just set a flag that we are offline and when communication is resumed, send a new notification? What happens when your out of signal area? I spend quite sometime out of range. I'm an iPhone user so anything you do won't affect me, but i figured all feedback is good feedback :)
binder

Re: Android App Notifications

Post by binder »

lnevo wrote:I would kill my phone if i kept getting notified. Why not just set a flag that we are offline and when communication is resumed, send a new notification? What happens when your out of signal area? I spend quite sometime out of range. I'm an iPhone user so anything you do won't affect me, but i figured all feedback is good feedback :)
yeah, that is a good point. i will have to look at things more closely and see what I can come up with.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

I think an online/offline indicator would be great! Any way to change the color of the Icon on the android status bar (make it green\red) to show online/offline status?

Try at normal interval
IF successful update data and refresh "online" indicator
IF not successful try again at "retry interval" until "maxretries" is exceeded THEN chime alarm & refresh "Offline" indicator

THEN keep trying at normal interval and if connection comes back refresh back to "Online"

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

binder

Post by binder »

I get what you are saying. This one will require some more work to make sure the "offline/online" status is handled properly. Plus an "ongoing" notification to indicate online/offline status would need to be looked into further.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a release this weekend (hopefully), just to get the new release out. This way you can get the error retry working for you and I can get the new icons and look for the app updated. Then continue to work on notifications and how to handle them properly because I want to add more (like with the portal) and I want to make sure that I update the notification bar properly.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

Sounds great!

Still can't wait :)
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

binder

Post by binder »

00Warpig00 wrote:Sounds great!

Still can't wait :)
Just curious, what version of android are you running? 2.3.X (Gingerbread), 4.0.X (Ice cream sandwich) or 4.1/4.2.X (Jelly Bean)
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

I have Android 2.3.6 on my Motorola Atrix 4G
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2