Float Switch Ideas?

Paulturner911

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by Paulturner911 »

I placed my order!!! I have an ATO setup that Im running. I think Im going to keep it. Has anyone else come up with any good uses for the float switches other than ATO? I was thing as a low level alarm on my ATO reservior and maybe an overflow "overflowing" alarm to turn off the return pump incase of a backup on the drain line? Other than that I couldnt think of much use for them in my application. What are you "seasoned" RA guys doing with them if you have an existing ATO. I would like to somehow figure out a simple water change process. Any input would be great.

Thanks
DrewPalmer04

Re: Float Switch Ideas?

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

Here is a bit of code Roberto supplied:
This controls a High and Low float. Relay (1) drains from sump. Relay(3) fills from Brute can (fresh saltwater) from basement. Works like a charm. Basically, it drains until the low float is "open" then fills until high float is "closed." All you have to do is figure out the amount of water you want to change out and adjust low float accordingly. Enjoy

Code: Select all

//water change ATO
  if (ReefAngel.DisplayedMenu==WATERCHANGE_MODE)
  {
    byte TempRelay = ReefAngel.Relay.RelayData;
    TempRelay &= ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOff;
    TempRelay |= ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOn;
    ReefAngel.LCD.DrawOutletBox(10, 100, TempRelay);

switch (wc_status)
    {
    case 0:
      ReefAngel.Relay.On(1);
      if (ReefAngel.LowATO.IsActive()) wc_status++;
      break;
    case 1:
      ReefAngel.Relay.Off(1);
      ReefAngel.Relay.On(3);
      if (!ReefAngel.HighATO.IsActive()) wc_status++;
      break;
    case 2:
      ReefAngel.Relay.Off(1);
      ReefAngel.Relay.Off(3);
      wc_status=0;
      ButtonPress++;
    }
  }
  //end water change
Out for now...but not over.

VISIT: Ethernet Module/Wifi Alternative
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

must also put this before setup()

byte wc_status=0;

lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

Put it in your skimmer cup or waste collector to prevent overflows.
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

The other in your ato reservoir to get alerts when your reserve is low.
DrewPalmer04

Post by DrewPalmer04 »

lnevo wrote:Put it in your skimmer cup or waste collector to prevent overflows.
The other in your ato reservoir to get alerts when your reserve is low.

Both great ideas!

rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

I have one in my DT to monitor an easily clogged over flow. It turns off the pump and sends me a text message. No end of the things you can do.
Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

rossbryant1956 wrote:I have one in my DT to monitor an easily clogged over flow. It turns off the pump and sends me a text message. No end of the things you can do.

This will be one of them...the other will be the ATO. UNLESS I come up with the equipment to do a WC cycle.
MDN

Post by MDN »

rossbryant1956 wrote:I have one in my DT to monitor an easily clogged over flow. It turns off the pump and sends me a text message. No end of the things you can do.
This is a great idea - anyone have the code pre-written for this (if the pump is on port 8 ). I have been thinking of this for awhile.
----------------------------------
75G with 30G sump | 52 LED - RapidLED Lighting (DIY) |
ReefAngel for Meanwell ELN-D Drivers | Reef Octopus HOB-1000
Way to much time and money invested.....

lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

I have the water pressure expansion which monitors my ato.

I use my float switches to monitor my return chamber of my sump.

You can look at my code (in my signature) the conditions are in there to basically do the same thing..
rossbryant1956

Post by rossbryant1956 »

Paulturner911 wrote:

This will be one of them...the other will be the ATO. UNLESS I come up with the equipment to do a WC cycle.
Here is my code. I use the IO expansion unit tho, someone please help convert this to the float valve ports:

//turn off port 8 - main pump when switch is tripped and sound buzzer 
     ReefAngel.Relay.Set(Port8,ReefAngel.IO.GetChannel(0));
     ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight(100-(ReefAngel.IO.GetChannel(0)*100)); 

//tell the portal we have a overflow problem
     ReefAngel.CustomVar[0]=ReefAngel.IO.GetChannel(0);
     ReefAngel.CustomVar[7]=1;

Roscoe's Reefs - Starting Over Again:

Building new 29g Nano after landlord went berserk over my 4 75 gallon tanks, Multiple RA's, Water mixing stations, etc. Your help welcomed in remembering all I've forgotten.
00Warpig00

Post by 00Warpig00 »

I have 8 float switches In my system. I have the pair hooked up directly to my controller for the dual ATO function that keepts my sump at a nearly constant level. I have 6 others hooked to an IO module. Two in my sump. Sump Empty, Sump Full. Both are alarmed to let me know something is wrong during normal mode. sump about to overflow or is empty for some reason etc. I have two in my Saltwater Brute container empty\full both send alarms that my SW Brute is empty or full to tell me when to turn on/off my RO feed to the container. Also have 2 in my RO ATO Brute empty/full to let me know when they need fresh RO water or are full. I also have a custom water change mode that turns off all my pumps/skimmer and turns on a drain pump in the bottom of my sump until the sump empty switch activates then stops and tuns on the pump in the bottom of my Saltwater brute (if the SW Brute's empty switch says it has enough water) pumping new saltwater into my sump until the sump full switch activates then it turns off the Waterchange pump and starts all my pumps back up. I *can* do a fully automated, unattended waterchange this way.

Nick
180G FOWLR
20GH QT#1
29G QT#2

Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

MDN wrote:
This is a great idea - anyone have the code pre-written for this (if the pump is on port 8 ). I have been thinking of this for awhile.
I would like this code also. My pump is port 1. Im pretty sure I can change that part if I have the code.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

I have a question about the foats. Does one of the two have to be uninstalled upside down? One of the threads said the low goes float side down and the high goes wires down. I would like to run both of mine wires up, could I just reverse the wires when I extend it? What is the best way to have on set to notify me when the the ATO is low, the other to notify AND turn off return pump (relay1) when the overflow is clogged? Both are currently mounted with the wires on the top side. Thanks again.
rimai

Post by rimai »

You only need upside down if you are using StandardATO, which you are not. So, use them the way you have it now.
Try this:

ReefAngel.Relay.Set(Port1,ReefAngel.HighATO.IsActive());
Roberto.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

rimai wrote:You only need upside down if you are using StandardATO, which you are not. So, use them the way you have it now.
Try this:

Thanks. Is it correct that the unit on the left of the reef keeper is high and the right one is low?
rimai

Post by rimai »

Paulturner911 wrote:Thanks. Is it correct that the unit on the left of the reef keeper is high and the right one is low?
I don't know... I never used their product :evil:
But you can look at the manual for the correct port on the Reef Angel :mrgreen:
It depends on how you look at it. If you look from the front is one thing and from the top is another thing, so best to look at the manual for visual confirmation.
Roberto.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

rimai wrote:
Paulturner911 wrote:Thanks. Is it correct that the unit on the left of the reef keeper is high and the right one is low?
I don't know... I never used their product :evil:
But you can look at the manual for the correct port on the Reef Angel :mrgreen:
It depends on how you look at it. If you look from the front is one thing and from the top is another thing, so best to look at the manual for visual confirmation.

Funny funny! Neither have I. Sorry about that. Facing the screen if it is mounted, the one on the left :)
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Looks like Ive got it backwards, facing the unit the "outside/left"would be low, the "inside/right" would be high.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

rimai wrote:You only need upside down if you are using StandardATO, which you are not. So, use them the way you have it now.
Try this:

If I am using the "outside" port, do I just change "High" to "Low"?
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

Yep
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Could someone please check this?

#include <ReefAngel_Features.h>
#include <Globals.h>
#include <RA_Wifi.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <OneWire.h>
#include <Time.h>
#include <DS1307RTC.h>
#include <InternalEEPROM.h>
#include <RA_NokiaLCD.h>
#include <RA_ATO.h>
#include <RA_Joystick.h>
#include <LED.h>
#include <RA_TempSensor.h>
#include <Relay.h>
#include <RA_PWM.h>
#include <Timer.h>
#include <Memory.h>
#include <InternalEEPROM.h>
#include <RA_Colors.h>
#include <RA_CustomColors.h>
#include <Salinity.h>
#include <RF.h>
#include <IO.h>
#include <ORP.h>
#include <AI.h>
#include <PH.h>
#include <WaterLevel.h>
#include <ReefAngel.h>

////// Place global variable code below here

////// Place global variable code above here

void setup()
{
// This must be the first line
ReefAngel.Init(); //Initialize controller
// Ports toggled in Feeding Mode
ReefAngel.FeedingModePorts = Port1Bit | Port2Bit | Port5Bit | Port6Bit | Port7Bit;
// Ports toggled in Water Change Mode
ReefAngel.WaterChangePorts = Port1Bit | Port2Bit | Port5Bit | Port6Bit | Port7Bit | Port8Bit;
// Ports toggled when Lights On / Off menu entry selected
ReefAngel.LightsOnPorts = Port2Bit | Port3Bit | Port5Bit | Port6Bit | Port8Bit;
// Ports turned off when Overheat temperature exceeded
ReefAngel.OverheatShutoffPorts = Port3Bit | Port5Bit | Port6Bit | Port7Bit | Port8Bit;
// Use T1 probe as temperature and overheat functions
ReefAngel.TempProbe = T1_PROBE;
ReefAngel.OverheatProbe = T1_PROBE;
// Set the Overheat temperature setting
InternalMemory.OverheatTemp_write( 849 );

// Ports that are always on

////// Place additional initialization code below here

////// Place additional initialization code above here
}

void loop()
{
ReefAngel.Relay.DelayedOn( Port1,30 );
ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port3,10,0,22,0 );
ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port5,12,0,19,0 );
ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port6,12,0,19,0 );
ReefAngel.Relay.DelayedOn( Port7,15 );
ReefAngel.StandardLights( Port8,22,0,10,0 );
ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight( MoonPhase() );
ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic( MoonPhase() );
ReefAngel.StandardFan(Port2,790,800);
////// Place your custom code below here

////// Place your custom code above here

// This should always be the last line
ReefAngel.Portal( "paulturner911" );
ReefAngel.ShowInterface();
}

I have the fan code (on+80)...changed to my fan port(2).
I have the overflow code (ATO2 right side facing RA screen float rises turns off port1)
I am I missing anything? Does the float open or close the circuit when up?

Thanks, I just want to get it right since the system has to be down inorder for me to upload code from my pc...
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

Looks fine. Thought you wanted to change the ato port to low though...
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

I just switched the plug on the unit side.
The high is green when it's down, the low is red when it's up. Could I make the low green when it's up by cutting and switching the leads on the plug? I guess really I would depin the harness and switch them to keep it clean. Would that do what I want? What I'm trying to achieve is the portal to show two green dots when I'm in the clear, red if anything is wrong.
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

For these switches the only way is to flip the float. Changing the wires wont work. The circuit is open or closed. The portal shows green when its closed.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

lnevo wrote:For these switches the only way is to flip the float. Changing the wires wont work. The circuit is open or closed. The portal shows green when its closed.

Ok, no biggie...I can do that. I have not uploaded my new code. With the current code I'm having an issue with resuming from feed mode. After 15 min or when I click the joystick to exit it's turning only my fan back on. I know the pump was 30 and the powerhead was 15. This isn't functioning properly right now. It was working untill I started messing with the iPad app and I think it's something todo with the masks. Once I activate feedmode it can time out 900 and I will have to manually turn on the powerhead, it will then have a mask, if I click on the mask, it turns off the pump and the blue dot will go away....same with the pump. What am I not understanding? Thanks again, for your patience AND your input.
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Paulturner911 wrote:
lnevo wrote:For these switches the only way is to flip the float. Changing the wires wont work. The circuit is open or closed. The portal shows green when its closed.

Ok, no biggie...I can do that. I have not uploaded my new code. With the current code I'm having an issue with resuming from feed mode. After 15 min or when I click the joystick to exit it's turning only my fan back on. I know the pump was 30 and the powerhead was 15. This isn't functioning properly right now. It was working untill I started messing with the iPad app and I think it's something todo with the masks. Once I activate feedmode it can time out 900 and I will have to manually turn on the powerhead, it will then have a mask, if I click on the mask, it turns off the pump and the blue dot will go away....same with the pump. What am I not understanding? Thanks again, for your patience AND your input.

Any suggestion on this? Im sure Im missing something.
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

What is on port 1? That wont turn on till 30 minutes after feeding mode ends... You shouldnt have to do anything with the masks. Best is not to touch them and see what happens. I guess powerhead is port 7. This will come on 15 minutes after feeding mode ends... So those will be off for 30 and 45 total for both. Best is not to touch the masks during the modes...
lnevo

Float Switch Ideas?

Post by lnevo »

For testing, i would reduce your delay ons to a couple minutes and you can reduce the feeding mode through the portal and do some testing. Nothing you can do in the ipad app will permenantly change the behavior...just make sure everything is in auto mode (no blue dots) and play around..
rimai

Post by rimai »

Paulturner911 wrote:I just switched the plug on the unit side.
The high is green when it's down, the low is red when it's up. Could I make the low green when it's up by cutting and switching the leads on the plug? I guess really I would depin the harness and switch them to keep it clean. Would that do what I want? What I'm trying to achieve is the portal to show two green dots when I'm in the clear, red if anything is wrong.
You would need to put the low ATO upside down.
It is always green when the float is touching the C-Clip. So, if you invert the position, you will achieve what you want in the portal.
Roberto.