Internal Memory in Portal

Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

Could someone quickly tell me what would be a function in "Internal Memory" with in the portal? Ive just glanced over it but have zero clue what it would do if I changed something with in there.

Thanks Guys
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Right now your schedules and heating settings etc are all hard coded in your functions. If you decided to have them rely on memory locations then you could adjust some of the common settings through that section.
Paulturner911

Re: Internal Memory in Portal

Post by Paulturner911 »

Are there any benefits of doing this? Im pretty stoked with how Im setup right now!
I AM looking to change some led drivers in the near future and run some fancy PWM functions.
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

Being able to modify your light schedule or adjust your temp settings or your vortech mode or whatever other parameters you have in memory...without having to modify your code is nice :)
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

That DOES sound nice! Ill have to look in to it. Where would I begin? I hate having my tank down while I lug the unit over to my PC and upload a new code. Granted it only takes a few minutes but its just a pain to disconnect and reconnect all the fancy stuff!
Sebyte

Post by Sebyte »

You can buy USB extender cables that have a built in amplifier so that you can run 60ft plus if you need. Then you don't need to move the head unit.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=444
lnevo

Post by lnevo »

I would start with your heater and fan.

Instead of using the standard heater with your temps just call the function with the port. Same for the fan/chiller function...

For the lights you have a bunch of different ones. You can look at the portal and see how standard / actinic / and MH ones are being setup time wise and adjust accordingly to get the schedule you want. Then you can change your StandardLights calls to the appropriate function without any args but the port..
Paulturner911

Post by Paulturner911 »

lnevo wrote:I would start with your heater and fan.

Instead of using the standard heater with your temps just call the function with the port. Same for the fan/chiller function...

For the lights you have a bunch of different ones. You can look at the portal and see how standard / actinic / and MH ones are being setup time wise and adjust accordingly to get the schedule you want. Then you can change your StandardLights calls to the appropriate function without any args but the port..
If I do this via portal, do I then have to remove the standardlight code lines in my program?
How do I tell the portal what ports are needed to control the fans... MH, and Actinics?
I also noticed there are not time to active dimming (standard or expansion) How would you select this with in the portal? I must be missing something...