Thinking of buying

markywmson

Thinking of buying

Post by markywmson »

I'm pretty sold on the Reef Angel controller over the Apex. I like tweaking stuff, but have never gone into programming/writing code, so this will be a new adventure.

My question: I'm going to get the Reef Angel Plus controller, but if I end up having things that are both PWM and Analong control, which is best to get. Can both be controlled (via add-on boxes) with either base unit? Sorry that this is probably a dumb question to most, but I want to make sure I buy this once, and do it the right way.

-mark
lnevo

Re: Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

Depends on how many ports you need.. The base model has 2 analog or pwm ports on the relay box. So if you need 2 PWM and 6 analog, go with the PWM RA and the Analog module... or if you want more PWM ports you could go with analog relay box and PWM module. I believe you can also have an analog and pwm dimming module, but I'm not sure how many total you can have.
markywmson

Post by markywmson »

Thanks for the explaination. That's what I kind of thought, but wanted to make sure I was thinking it through correctly. With the current trend in technology, which would be the direction that would give the most flexibility over the long haul? I don't have all equipment yet, but I do like the fact that I can get a box for either should my equipment needs require it.
lnevo

Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

Do you have anything now you want to control? What are your long term plans?
markywmson

Post by markywmson »

I have a 120g tank, and ultimately it will be a mixed reef. I would want to control ATO, skimmer (for feed), possibly lights (mine have a controller on them currently), heaters, powerheads (if they can figure out how to control that Jebao WP40 via ReefAngel), two-part dosing, be able to shut my closed loop off during feeding, and have an alarm if things are going bad and I'm not around.

I think I want to go with the PWM and could add analog later if needed. But I guess I have some thinking to do about what my equipment all will be.
lnevo

Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

Pwm sounds like the way to go. That powerhead will need pwm not analog from the discussions so far..
lnevo

Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

Actually looks like the Jebo pump is going to need analog. Which btw is also good for Tunze controllable pumps...so changing my recommendation for you to get analog and if you ever decode to do your lights you'll have the choice for a analog or pwm.
lnevo

Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

Scratch that last statement!! The powerheads can be used by any controller / dimming port. Official RA harness coming soon!
markywmson

Post by markywmson »

Thanks! I've been watching both threads intently (not that I understand half of what is said in them...) So ultimately (as I understand it) it doesn't matter which I go with as both will work with the harness, right? What if I want to run 2 eventually? Would that make a difference? Could 2 be hooked up to work like Vortechs in the Sync/Anti-sync mode with the proper programming? Would that make a difference in which base unit I bought?

-mark
lnevo

Thinking of buying

Post by lnevo »

You'll be able to drive two with either stock model.

And yes! You'll be able to program all kinds of things. :)

I'm finalizing my tidal simulation code in my INO file and will be testing soon. :)
markywmson

Post by markywmson »

Sweet!!! So there is no downside to getting the PWM one since it's cheaper?