Setting up dimmable mean well drivers

snoopy60

Setting up dimmable mean well drivers

Post by snoopy60 »

Made an led lighting system. Testing it while waiting for my reef angel + to come in (PWM). don't have a 10 volt wall wart. have a 5 volt (regulated) that i am using to set up my mean well drivers. Am i correct in assuming that the mili amps through the leds don't change as the voltage in the dimming circuit does? In other words, even though my leds are dimmed to 50% (because the wall wart is 5 volts), I am still setting my mean well drivers to the maximum mili amps i want to push. Hope this makes sense.
If the milli amps do change as the voltage in the dimming circuit changes, I guess i will reset all of my drivers after i have them connected to my RA+ (setting its dimming circuit to maximum of course).

Hope all of this makes sense. Thanks
rimai

Re: Setting up dimmable mean well drivers

Post by rimai »

It will actually vary the current based on the signal.
50% signal is 50% current.
Roberto.
snoopy60

Post by snoopy60 »

Thank You!!
I will do the initial set up accordingly
snoopy60

Post by snoopy60 »

Can i absolutely depend upon the fact that it is a 1 to 1 relationship?

I have 6 mean well drivers to set up and i need to know if i can set them up w/ my 5volt (actually putting out 5.4 volts, so i calculated accordingly). Should be getting my RA+ monday and want to be ready to go. If there is not a 1 to 1 relationship, I will still need to re set each driver after I have them hooked up to my RA+, so i don't need to do it now.

I AM setting up each string about 2 or 3 hundred milliamps less than the specified milliamps of the led's (to add life... I know the last few hundred milliamps don't add much light but add heat). So, I am trying to be precise.
rimai

Post by rimai »

Check the driver datasheet, but it should be pretty linear.
Roberto.