Can't Decide!

OsiViper

Can't Decide!

Post by OsiViper »

I have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now trying to decide on a controller.
I'm torn between the RA+ and Apex.

I have always been into programming (VB, Delphi, C+) and web design so the RA has a lot of draw there because it is very customizable. And was just about to order the RA but then I read about problems with unit freezing, relays sticking open or closed and just other various smaller issues and it pushes me towards Apex because of its reliability track record.
But then I get to reading about the good parts of RA again and it makes me want to try it. I just cannot decide and pull the trigger on one.

I will be running:
90 gallon DT with 40 gallon sump
Currently have cheaper t5 lighting fixture with built in controller so won't use controller for lights. Plan on getting a Reef Breeders Photon48 when they are released and they aren't controllable via an external controller (that i know of) either.
AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200/300 or RLSS R6-I/R8-I Skimmer (haven't decided on that either lol)
2x 250w Eheim Jager Heaters.
Sincce Syncra 3 return pump
Currently have 3x Koralia Evolution 1400 pumps, going to replace them with 1 or 2 WP40 once I get a controller to run them and lower power.
Custom built 12v pump ATO

Eventually I plan on getting another pump to pump into BRS Dual reactor for GFO and Carbon along with a couple dosing pumps for Calcium, Alk And Magnesium.
lnevo

Can't Decide!

Post by lnevo »

If you've got even an ounce of programming knowledge, you will love the flexibility of the RA. The ability to do whatever you can think of is priceless. As far as the issues you see, it's not widespread. People have issues with other hardware to. I wouldn't say it's isolated to any manufacturer. If you read through any of the threads, you'll see how responsive Roberto is and the people on this forum.

It's been the best purchase I've made and has really allowed me to bridge my skills in technology with this hobby.
ReeferBee

Re: Can't Decide!

Post by ReeferBee »

I currently run an Apex but... I just ordered a Reef Angel! I can't wait to start programming it! My apex never let me down, but after reading nothing but good feedback about RA I had to get one. Plus, I have a couple wp40 and i really like the idea of more control over them.

If you search apex relays and outlets sticking you'll find just many if not more postings. Like the person above me said these type issues arise in almost all electronics.

Either choice you'll be happy, but I can say without a doubt there's a lot more creative potential with the RA

I'm glad I'm in the RA group and I haven't even received my controller yet lol
Barry

Current tank info: 150g mixed reef

"Some of the worst mistakes of my life were hair cuts" -Jim Morrison
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Yea, the Jebao WP40 controlling was a big thing for me but was reading that people are using the RA cables on the Apex to control them also
lnevo

Can't Decide!

Post by lnevo »

You can set % with the apex, but you can't mimic the Vortech modes or make new ones.
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Can you mimic Vortech or make the custom modes with RA?
johniii

Post by johniii »

OsiViper wrote:Can you mimic Vortech or make the custom modes with RA?
Oh yes and plus some more modes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

johniii wrote:
OsiViper wrote:Can you mimic Vortech or make the custom modes with RA?
Oh yes and plus some more modes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
With the Jebao WP40?
lnevo

Can't Decide!

Post by lnevo »

Yes or tunzes or vortech. With the vortech you can access stock modes or you can manually control each channel. You basically have millisecond control over each pump and what percentage so whatever mode you want to create its up to you. All the stock vortech modes have been recreated to use and can be modified if you want to copy the function and mess around with it.
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Ok.. Didn't know that. I thought you could program it on Apex to do any program you want, didn't know it was just basic % power and no flow patterns like the vortech.

Sounds like I'll be doing RA+ then..
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Well, just ordered the RA+ With PWM!
Sadly I can't afford the wireless, I/O Box or the 2 WP40's till next moth - but I can mess around with the programming and play with it until then.
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

I'm in the same boat... It's definitely not a bad thing to do it in phases :)
Current setup:
60g 24" custom cube (fish and softies right now)
AI Sol Blue, Ecotech MP-10wES
Coralife skimmer
100% customer controller, transitioning to ReefAngel
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

We even have the same skimmer lol.
Good thing im upgrading that too come June also
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Gah, I'm so impatient.. I want it to get here so I can play with it. Like a kid with a new toy.
enigma32

Post by enigma32 »

Yup... I work from home, so the day mine came in I kept staring at the box waiting for my work day to end... it was rough ;)
Current setup:
60g 24" custom cube (fish and softies right now)
AI Sol Blue, Ecotech MP-10wES
Coralife skimmer
100% customer controller, transitioning to ReefAngel
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Lol I'd have opened it. I couldn't sit there staring at the box.

Hopefully if USPS is on time, mine will be here tomorrow!
cosmith71

Post by cosmith71 »

enigma32 wrote:Yup... I work from home, so the day mine came in I kept staring at the box waiting for my work day to end... it was rough ;)
You should have called in sick. :mrgreen:
OsiViper

Post by OsiViper »

Lol, I got it in at about 11:30 this morning. Have been playing with it for almost 7 hours!

Got it set-up for running heater, skimmer, return pump, sump light.
Need to get it setup for ATO and Jebao once i get one.

Really wish I had the wireless module. Cant get it till mid June. I hate having to take my laptop over in front of the tank to play with it now.